MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bring Me Sunshine... (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Chad wrote:
there will be far fewer people dying from normal ‘natural’ causes once this has all blown over.

Worry ye not for the funeral industry.

I'm told by medical colleagues that there will probably be another bumper harvest coming along soon. As a result of all the non-Covid19-related treatment that has been cancelled or indefinitely postponed. To make space in hospitals for all the Covid19-related admissions.

Sir Bob Diamond is the head of the Office of National Statistics (ONS). He appeared on the Andrew Marr show on the BBC on May 3rd, and announced:

the ONS had looked into the cause of non-Covid excess deaths since the beginning of the year and would publish its findings “in the next few days”

What are these non-Covid excess deaths?

last week we had records for the excess was approaching 12,000 deaths of which, I would suggest, between eight and 9,000 were Covid and the rest were what we call indirect deaths. Those could be for example people who would normally have gone into hospital for some reason but the beds were not available.

As we've already noted, thousands of people dying each week is morbid, but normal. Sir Bob showed his human touch by mentioning his Mum.

Just give you an example: in my late mother’s last couple of years of her life she went into hospital and back out again a few times. Had she not been able to go in one of those times she may well have died a little earlier than she did. So I think it’s important to recognise there are indirect deaths as well as the Covid-related deaths.

Lest we get overtaken by the hysteria and think the sky is falling in and people are only dying of Covid-19. Now the crucial part:

We have a piece from the Office of National Statistics that we’ve done jointly with the Government Actuaries Department, the Home Office and Department of Health coming out in the next few days which will show also a third group which will come out over the next few years where changes in the prioritisation of the Health Service, for example, reductions in cancer screening, will lead to deaths over the next few years.

That "changes in the prioritisation of the Health Service" would appear to mean cancelling non-Covid admissions to make space. Which was done so well that the Nightingale hospitals erected in record time by the Army have hardly been used (stand easy lads).

To be fair, only nine days have passed since Sir Bob said "coming out in the next few days", so perhaps we should not yet assume motives for delaying release of any news that suggests the lockdown is doing more harm than good to people's health.

Unlike in Germany, where it has been published, rapidly denied and blamed on an “isolated individual opinion”.

The lockdown and the measures taken by the German federal and central governments to contain the coronavirus apparently cost more lives, for example of cancer patients, than of those actually killed by it. This is the result of an internal analysis by the Protection of Critical Infrastructures” unit in the Federal Ministry of the Interior, which has been made available to members of the Ministry’s crisis team and leaked to Tichys Einblick magazine. The 86-page paper with its critical evaluations for example of the data submitted by the Robert Koch Institute, has in the meantime already been dismissed by the Ministry as the expression of an “isolated individual opinion”.

An “isolated individual opinion” smells a bit like a "rogue trader" that "the management" knew nothing about. Allegedly.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

This had got hijacked onto the wrong thread (my fault). I will post on 'Flu'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

On the subject of metal supplements, this says it all, though I haven't read the paper, Cobber

Greater Circulating Copper Concentrations and Copper/Zinc Ratios are Associated with Lower Psychological Distress, But Not Cognitive Performance in a Sample of Australian Older Adults
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Public Health England have issued some important guidance.

To enjoy the sun while staying safe:

Drink plenty of fluids and avoid excess alcohol. Everyone is at risk of dehydration in hot temperatures, but babies, children and older people are particularly vulnerable

Stay cool indoors: open windows when the air feels cooler outside than inside; shade or cover windows exposed to direct sunlight; move to a cooler part of the house, especially for sleeping

Slow down when it’s hot: exertion heats up our bodies so plan any strenuous activities (such as exercise and gardening) outside the hottest time of the day, typically 11am to 3pm

Cool your skin with water. You could use a cool wet sponge or flannel, cool water spray, cold packs around the neck and armpits, or a cool, wet sheet

Stay connected and listen to the weather forecast. Knowing the forecast can help you plan ahead and adapt what you’re doing

Dress appropriately for the weather. Protect yourself against the sun’s radiation and keep yourself cool by wearing thin cotton clothes

Eat smaller meals, more often. Cold salads and fruit are the perfect summer foods

You might be critical about PHE's preparation and guidance for the pandemic, but they are world leaders when it comes to dealing with sunshine.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've been suffering from headaches recently. It's an occupational hazard, polymaths' brains grow faster than braincases at my age, but I thought I'd see what supplements were officially recommended. You never know. Anyway they turned out to be Co-enzyme Q10, Magnesium and Riboflavin. I laid the list on my local pharmie.

"That'll be a hundred and eight pounds, Mr Harper."
"Tell you what, I'll stick with the headaches."
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:

AE-ists can take advantage of everybody else keeping society going by adopting the principle of
Late to bed, even later to rise
Makes a man healthy, poor and wise.

Have you been talking to my son? If we see him awake and on his feet before noon we think something must be wrong. No, he's not got a job either. But he is talking about being an author.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
I've been suffering from headaches recently. It's an occupational hazard, polymaths' brains grow faster than braincases

M'Lady has found the same with some species of show dogs. Most notably, King Charles Spaniels and English Bulldogs. Bred more for looks than the health of the breed, with skull cases that are too small.

If I was you, I'd have a quiet word with your older relatives on the delicate topic of in-breeding.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I got this today from my press clippings service

Vitamin D Deficiency and Its Association with Iron Deficiency in African Children by Alireza Morovat
...15, 58, 283-287. [CrossRef] [PubMed] Houghton, L.A.; Trilok-Kumar, G.; McIntosh, D.; Haszard, J.J.; Harper, M.J.; Reid, M.; Erhardt, J.; Bailey, K.; Gibson, R.S. Multiple micronutrient status and predictors of a...

and while this Harper M J turned out not to be me, it did remind me of a recent programme on the radio about Vitamin D deficiency in Britain -- mainly Asian women not getting enough sunlight because of their clothing -- and realised I was getting even less than they were. Going out once a week to Tesco made me an honorary Bangladeshi. When I learned of the other typical sources of Vitamin D this was not reassuring either. Egg and chips wasn't on the list.

I take a multivitamin every day (more, by the way, is deleterious) but reckoned this may not be enough. I popped into the chemist on the way to Tesco and, for once, it was good news. Vitamin D tablets are available a hundred at a time for a few quid. It has made no discernible difference so I shall be continuing the practice for the rest of my life. Pills, doncha love 'em?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in