MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Clever guy Arteta... He can park a bus in seven different languages.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

For the second Arsenal game in a row I did what I almost never do for Arsenal games and gave up watching in real time in favour of the highlights. It was just too depressing watching first Liverpool and then Man City stroking the ball around while my boys watched on in amazement.

And for the second game in a row I discovered from Match of the Day we had played them off the park.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Mick wrote:
In fact, with this scenario, VAR becomes like DRS, a positively pleasurable part of the game.

I have been giving this even more thought even though it was already perfect. Everyone agrees that these dotted lines drawn to show offsides are driving everyone mad. And the Laws of Football agree since they talk of players 'not seeking an advantage' and 'being level with the last defender'. Clearly, if players can't see it they are not seeking an advantage so if they are, as far as the eye can see, level with the last defender, they are not offside.

Referees and linesmen used to observe this using their own eyes. Now VAR uses dotted lines to show someone's knee was beyond someone else's foot or whatever. But now, under the Harper Big Screen Scheme, the referee returns to the old ways except this time he confirms or amends his judgement while the action is slowed down and the best camera angle is shown. But without the aid of dotted lines which can be banished for ever.

They will probably put up a statue of me in Accrington. Only for some bastard to knock it down a couple of hundred years later for some fancied blemish on my escutcheon. I don't know why I bother sometimes. Make it out of depleted uranium is one idea that might give them pause for thought. Just an idea for the committee to think about. I'm not particularly bothered myself. For the good of the game is good enough for me.
Grant

VAR is supposed to be used for “clear and obvious errors.” How can it be clear and obvious if you have to draw a line using sophisticated technology to demonstrate that someone’s knee is one centimetre offside?
Chad

Ole’s pi-polar team have (over the last three games) been showing signs that the old black dog is sniffing around again... This is where we will see what he’s made of.

If I was him, I’d be bringing in a trick cyclist.
Chad

Grant wrote:
VAR is supposed to be used for “clear and obvious errors.”

I thought that just referred to penalties and sendings off.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Grant's got it wrong anyway, as per. It is not whether the ref has made the clear and obvious error, it is whether the error is clear and obvious. If a knee is on one side of a dotted line and a foot is on the other side, it is clear and obvious.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

It's not 'clear daylight' between the defender and striker, is it. A knee, I ask you.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Hotty has got it wrong, as per. There is no reference to clear daylight in the Laws of Football. The concept being unknown in Lancashire mill towns of the 1870's.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

FA Cup Final Arsenal vs Chelsea

I don't know why London dominates English football, it's not as if we've got an extra leg or something. Theories would be welcome.
Chad

Mick Harper wrote:
There is no reference to clear daylight in the Laws of Football. The concept being unknown in Lancashire mill towns of the 1870's.

This is why Lancashire has dominated for so long. They had to keep the ball under close control, and in so doing developed the skills necessary for this type of game.

It wasn’t until nearly a century later, that visibility improved to the extent that long ball tactics could be deployed in places like Blackburn, Bolton and Burnley.
Chad

Mick Harper wrote:
FA Cup Final Arsenal vs Chelsea

Sad that this grand old competition has declined in significance, to such a degree that only Londoners now give a shit.
Grant

The margin of error for VAR when considering offside decisions is 13 centimetres! That means it can’t be clear and obvious if you have to draw a line on the picture to see it. If it’s not obvious to the naked eye it’s not a clear and obvious offside.
The reason the margin is so great is that the call has be be made at the exact moment the passer’s foot touches the ball. Very rarely does the frame catch that exact moment.
The solution is to give the VAR judge two viewings of the incident with no added lines. If he’s not sure, it’s not offside
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Aston Villa 1 Arsenal 0

I don't begrudge them their win (we're concentrating on the Community Shield anyway) but if they avoid relegation it may interfere with our Summer transfer plan to bring in Tyrone Mings as club captain and Jack Grealish as first team hair stylist.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

That's what I said, Grant, if you were only listening. But it has nothing to do with 'clear and obvious'. Thirteen centimetres is a yawning chasm. And a margin of error is not the same as "don't bother".
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 121 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in