MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Survey of London Volume 53: Oxford Street edited by Andrew Saint, Yale £75

I'm a Londoner and a polymath who knows more than any other Londoner who ever lived (that's not difficult, he or she would have to be alive today) but I've never heard of this series. Yale. They probably mean London, Ontario.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Wiki has an article on the Survey of London project

The Survey of London is a research project to produce a comprehensive architectural survey of central London and its suburbs, or the area formerly administered by the London County Council. It was founded in 1894 by Charles Robert Ashbee, an Arts-and-Crafts designer, architect and social reformer[1] and was motivated by a desire to record and preserve London's ancient monuments. The first volume was published in 1900, but the completion of the series remains far in the future.

The London Survey Committee was initially a volunteer effort, but from 1910 published the surveys jointly with the London County Council (later the GLC). From 1952 the voluntary committee was disbanded, and all survey work was wholly council-run. Following the abolition of the GLC in 1986, responsibility for the survey was taken over by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME). Since 2013 it has been administered by The Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London

According to the article the Survey of London has been published by Yale University Press since 2008. Why not a British publisher? It could be due to the expense of colour photography, introduced in 2008. It's encyclopaedic in scope though some of the info is inevitably outdated

As of 2020, 53 volumes in the main series have been published. Separately, 18 monographs on individual buildings have been published. Most of the volumes have not been updated since publication, but those published online (up to Vol. 47) have received a limited amount of updating.

British History Online (formerly Victoria County History) publishes all the volumes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_of_London
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's encyclopaedic in scope though some of the info is inevitably outdated

Strewth, if Volume One was in the nineteenth century, I should cocoa. That's London for "I should say so". Has anyone ever seen one? Interesting though about Yale. I don't think it's colour photography. Who was publishing it before 2008, or rather who was subsidising it before 2008? Arts & Crafts, eh? My hackles rise. That's London for 'porkie pies'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Kim Jong-un and Boris Johnson were out of public view at exactly the same time. Mind meld or body swap? You choose.
Hatty
Site Admin

Survey of London Volume 53: Oxford Street edited by Andrew Saint, Yale £75

Only yesterday on Facebook I was taking part in a discussion of wells on the A40, the route connecting Fishguard to London, part of which is Oxford Street as the A40 route is via Oxford. St Govor's well in Kensington Gardens, sandwiched between the A4 and the A40, featured in the discussion. The official listing for the well says

The inscription written around the well states: "This drinking fountain marks the site of an ancient spring, which in 1856 was named St Govor's Well by the First Commissioner of Works later to become Lord Llandover. Saint Govor, a sixth century hermit, was the patron saint of a church in Llandover which had eight wells in its churchyard."

'St Govor' was invented by Iolo Morganwg, a well-known eighteenth-century forger of manuscripts, and there's no St Govor's church in Llanover. Llanover church is listed as Norman, mainly 14th century, and dedicated to St Bartholomew.

Llanover is clearly not one of Wales' so-called ancient llans despite Iolo's intervention but its location, near both the River Usk and the A40, suggests it had been a useful watering stop since Norman times if not earlier.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Hatty wrote:

'St Govor' was invented by Iolo Morganwg, a well-known eighteenth-century forger of manuscripts, and there's no St Govor's church in Llanover. Llanover church is listed as Norman, mainly 14th century, and dedicated to St Bartholomew.

Llanover is clearly not one of Wales' so-called ancient llans despite Iolo's intervention but its location, near both the River Usk and the A40, suggests it had been a useful watering stop since Norman times if not earlier.

The bit that interested me is Iolo also invented a bards Runic script.
Hatty
Site Admin

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
The bit that interested me is Iolo also invented a bards Runic script.

To me the interesting thing about Iolo, a well-known forger, is he was employed to 'collect' manuscripts.

His employer was a Welshman living in London called Owen Jones, an antiquary and the founder of the Gwyneddigion Society, who published the manuscripts in three volumes

at a cost of more than £1000, the well-known Myvyrian Archaiology of Wales (1801–1807), a collection of pieces dating from the 6th to the 14th century. The manuscripts which he had brought together are deposited in the British Library

The 'majority' of the published material is considered genuine but containing 'some' of Iolo's forgeries.
Wile E. Coyote

I just cant help myself thinking that Iolo, his father, and the son, were all stone masons and Iolo invented a runic script. I can see him with his chisel. He must have been tempted.
Wile E. Coyote

The 9th 10th century stone crosses at St Illtyds ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Illtyd%27s_Church,_Llantwit_Major
Wile E. Coyote

One of the purposes of the renovation was to make a new home for the parish's ancient Celtic stones. These stones date from the 9th and 10th centuries, and had previously been housed in the West church. They had previously been located within the main church, some in the churchyard, and some even in private gardens in the town. They were brought into the church for protection during the renovations of the late 19th century.

Wiley smells some fakes.
Hatty
Site Admin

Llanover is clearly not one of Wales' so-called ancient llans

Despite having no interesting antiquities, unusual for Wales, Llanover became a hotspot for antique Welshness thanks to Benjamin and Augusta Hall, the Lord and Lady of Llanover. Augusta was a patron of manuscripts who established a local eisteddfod, turning Llanover House into a repository for mouldering manuscripts

Lady Llanover was one of the most energetic members of the Cymreigyddion y Fenni ("Abergavenny Cambricists"), a society which flourished in the thirties of the 19th century and did excellent work for the cause of Welsh literature. Later on, the Cymreigyddion dwindled away, and eventually became extinct; whereupon their manuscripts came into Lady Llanover's possession, and were deposited at Llanover House.

There they remained, in a large wooden chest in the library, until the death of their aged possessor. ... During the fifty years, or so, that these books were in the keeping of Lady Llanover, it was not always easy for students to obtain access to them; and, indeed, the treasures seem to have been but little disturbed by anyone.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/cardiff-records/vol4/pp1-5

This stash is known as the Llanover Manuscripts, donated to the National Library of Wales in 1939. Provenance is a direct succession from Iolo

After Iolo Morganwg's death his manuscripts came into the possession of his son Taliesin Williams (Taliesin ab Iolo). After Taliesin's death a large portion of the manuscripts (belonging mostly to Classes B and C) were acquired by Sir Benjamin Hall
Wile E. Coyote

One of the purposes of the renovation was to make a new home for the parish's ancient Celtic stones. These stones date from the 9th and 10th centuries, and had previously been housed in the West church. They had previously been located within the main church, some in the churchyard, and some even in private gardens in the town. They were brought into the church for protection during the renovations of the late 19th century.

The Sampson Pillar, sometimes known as the "King's Stone,"[19] is 2.75 meters high and badly eroded, but once bore an inscription bearing the name of Sampson the Abbot (identity unknown), Artmail (another abbot) and Ithel, a 9th-century king of Gwent.[36] Its inscription reads: IN NOMINE DI SUMMI INCIPIT CRUX SALVATORIS QUAE PREPARAVIT SAMSONI ABATI PRO ANIMA SUA ET PRO ANIMA *IUTHAHELO REX ET ARTMAIL ET TECAN, or "In the name of the most high God begins the cross of the Saviour which Samson the Abbot prepared for his soul, and for the soul of Iuthahelo the King and of Artmail and of Tecan." Iuthahelo is thought to be Ithel, a king of Gwent who died in 846.[38]

This stone has a curious legendary story attached to it, in that while it made its home in the churchyard, a giant's grave was dug next to the stone. The "giant" was a 7 ft, 7in youth known as "Will the Giant."[19] The stone fell into the grave, nearly killing some mourners, and when it was deemed too heavy to remove, it was buried in the grave with the giant. The stone was rediscovered by Iolo Morganwg in 1789, when it was excavated and removed from the grave.

Hang On. Can you mention that bit at the end again.

The stone was rediscovered by Iolo Morganwg in 1789, when it was excavated and removed from the grave.

So stonemason Iolo discovers a 9th century cross that fell into the grave of a 7 foot 7 inch giant called Will? I guess if Will had been of average size then the giant cross wouldn't have fitted and become buried. Truly Remarkable. It only goes to show that fiction is stranger than fact.
Wile E. Coyote

I can see him with his chisel.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Tesco has all but run out of eggs. Chickens, it seems, are on lockdown (how does that work? how do you put thousands of chickens indoors?) and I am reduced to eating my first eggs that are (a) branded, 'chestnut maran' would you believe (b) 'free range' -- what are they, cowboys? and (c) come in mixed sizes. Jesus Christ, sort them, why don't you? Life would be bewildering if only I let it.

I'd better get out of the way before Borry comes in with his "Oh, yes, we have our Chestnut Marans eating with us at the big table." I hate country people -- they just lie, lie and lie again. If you'd ever amounted to anything you wouldn't have to live in the country, would you?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So this bloke who kept his place on the Grand Council despite predicting every Briton would die at least twice during the pandemic loses it because his 'married lover' pops over for a quickie. But our hearts must go out to illicit lovers everywhere in these times of social isolation. "Where are you going, darling" "For my daily run, darling." "Why are you wearing heels?" "I want to be one of those daft twats who dress up in the London Marathon."
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 69 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in