MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Flu (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Nothing to see here, move along please.

Inside the Chinese lab poised to study world's most dangerous pathogens

Maximum-security biolab is part of plan to build network of BSL-4 facilities across China.

Editors’ note, January 2020: Many stories have promoted an unverified theory that the Wuhan lab discussed in this article played a role in the coronavirus outbreak that began in December 2019. Nature knows of no evidence that this is true; scientists believe the most likely source of the coronavirus to be an animal market.

https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

For most of my life Nature has represented some notional gold standard for dependability but it has certainly fallen among thieves over recent years. Or it may be just that my own standards have become harsher. This statement is quite appalling. Not just assuming to know who 'scientists' are, much less able to speak for them, but to signal that if they do, and if they can, that scientists 'believe' something that is at best a reasonable possibility. One hesitates to call it a hypothesis in case this gives it some sort of scientific status.

Mind you, Nature is perfectly correct to say what it did -- scientists are that stupid.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Newsnight informs us that sixteen out of seventeen doctors who have popped off were from racial minorities. Seventy-five per cent of 'health workers' were. These are clearly ferociously significant figures for which I have no theory, but I can contribute a small piece of anecdotal evidence.

I had to spend a fair amount of time in Dorchester General on account of my mum and there was something weird about the place which I could not at first identify. Then the penny dropped. Everyone was white. (Even the patients, this being Dorset, but I mean the staff.) Not only were they white, they were 'beautiful white' i.e. attractive, young, cheerful. Real Stepford Wives territory, both sexes.

Not in London. Not in any of several teaching hospitals I have attended over recent years. You are surprised to encounter any kind of Stepford person and even then they will be Lithuanian or something. Now obviously London (and other large cities in the same bag) have more than their fair share of Covids but not sixteen out of seventeen more Covids. However, there's another factor...

Racism. If you are a blond Scotsman who plays rugger, you get into the specialty of your choice. If you are a dumpy Sri Lankan woman with exactly the same medical credentials, you don't. That's the way of the world and maybe that's the way of the virus.
Boreades

I didn't get where I am today by being attractive, young, and cheerful. Or talented.

Fortunately, here in Wessex, #1 Daughter (of the Boreadettes) is attractive, young, and cheerful, and talented, and also a keen rugby player. I can neither confirm nor deny that being a Red Belt in Taikwondo has aided her rugby tackling skills (while the ref isn't looking), and kept her attractive looks (but not necessarily helped the good looks of opponents). Plus, she's related to a junior member of the England (Female) Rugby Union team.

As she (#1 Daughter) might be qualified to have an opinion, I asked her for her opinion. Which is, things will be better when Sri Lanka has a female national rugby union team (instead of just a male one) and they can play in the World Cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_national_rugby_union_team
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As a general rule, Borry, can you confine these sorts of posts to the threads provided for them. I noticed that the Newsnight chap went on to hint darkly that racial minorities continue to suffer in 'our' NHS. Unfortunately in ways that are socially ingrained, eg fifty per cent less likely to complain about inadequate protection, and thus only soluble with time. He batted back Emily's suggestion that they were actually being thrown to the Covid wolves.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
As a general rule, Borry, can you confine these sorts of posts to the threads provided for them.

No problem, please let me know which (other) thread(s) I should use to respond to your previous comment.

Mick Harper wrote:
If you are a blond Scotsman who plays rugger, you get into the specialty of your choice. If you are a dumpy Sri Lankan woman with exactly the same medical credentials, you don't. That's the way of the world and maybe that's the way of the virus.

Or if responding to your own "thread drift" is now an AEL thought crime by failing to anticipate double-standards?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Two international straws in the winds. Germany, the poster child for the orthodox approach, has seen death rates increase for the third day in a row, against trend. Sweden, the naughty boy, continues relatively untroubled on its wayward path. Now it really is too early to draw any conclusions, especially when you are hoping for one rather than the other, but listening to the savants it is vital for AE-ists to watch out for two things

1. Advance explanations for why Sweden is not to be taken as an exemplar.
2. Undue emphasis on death rates (which, by the way, are vastly higher in Sweden presently than in either Finland or Norway).

The point is, the final outcome ought not to be measured by deaths per hundred but using the felicific calculus i.e. avoiding a 1% dip in GNP is worth a 2% hike in deaths (or whatever); one death in the home is worth two in a care home (or whatever).
Boreades

Some news that, for some reason, reminded me of saturation bombing or a scorched earth policy.

A Government diktat that NHS hospitals should move hundreds of elderly patients to care homes has been branded “reckless” and blamed for the homes’ soaring coronavirus death rates. In two damning policy documents published on 19 March and 2 April, officials told NHS hospitals to transfer any patients who no longer required hospital level treatment, and set out a blueprint for care homes to accept patients with Covid-19 or who had not even been tested.

Analysis by the Telegraph suggests that the rate of coronavirus deaths accelerated more than twice as fast in care homes than in hospitals in the week beginning 7 April - two and a half weeks after the first policy document was published. Under the government guidance, patients who tested positive for coronavirus were allowed to be sent from hospitals to care homes. The second document states that “Negative tests are not required prior to transfers / admissions into the care home.”

I have re-issued my own Care Home Health Policy to the Boreadettes, which I recommend to my honourable colleagues.

In the event of me (Boreades) gettng to the point of being so old or doddery that I can't tell where I am*.
1) Don't waste my money (and your inheritance) on the misery and cruelty of a Care Home.
2) Take me for a one-way trip on the good ship SS Boreades. About ten miles offshore on a dark night should be enough. Then drop me over the side.
3) Tell the authorities I fell over, you searched for hours and are heartbroken, and I was a loving father who will be greatly missed. On no account tell them that I'm a miserable tight-fisted old bastard who would rather die than see his money wasted, and you are glad to have got rid of me.
* trips to the pub excepted.

Also being cheaper than a trip to a Swiss clinic.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There is another, darker reason (maybe) why patients in care homes tend to die in care homes. A large number of the inmates are on insurance policies that involve a) selling the family home in return for b) the insurer paying the bills until death, however long that might take. It appeared to us, when we ran the numbers, up to two years they made a profit, after two years, we did. No criminality need apply, it is just that the sector is a seamless whole, running on established tramlines.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Intra-Species Chemical Communication in Humans

A couple of studies have now been conducted in America randomly testing the population for antibodies to Covid-19. These studies have revealed that the antibodies are present in up to 24% of the population, suggesting the virus is far more widespread than believed and that the mortality rate for the virus is on par with the flu.

I have another suggestion.

I suspect very few of the people who have the antibodies ever were infected with Covid-19.

In Newfoundland, there is a blight that occurs somewhat regularly, though when it began first to be measured in the 1970s, its regularity was completely unknown. That blight is the Spruce Budworm: A tiny insect that infests spruce trees in massive numbers and eventually eats them to the ground. This little insect caused quite a panic among the labcoat sect when it exploded in the 70s. It was destroying entire forests and the rate at which it was spreading suggested that Newfoundland would lose all of its trees by sometime in the 1980s.

But that didn't happen. The budworm scare faded away and the forests survived.

It was later discovered that the trees had a rather interesting means of defeating that little critter. It turned out, the trees were talking to each other.

When a tree became infected, it sent chemicals into the air that, drifting on the wind, alerted other trees to its state. Those trees slowly began to change their chemistry such that they were no longer appetizing to the budworm. The altered trees formed a line beyond which the infestation could not pass. Once the threat was gone, the trees returned to their normal state.

I have long been arguing that humans do the same thing. We communicate with one another chemically, most effectively through bodily contact. We do this for many reasons, but among those reasons is to form collective defences against disease.

The reason so many people in the USA have antibodies against Covid-19 is not because the infestation is so widespread---it is because antibodies spread faster than viruses.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

If I am right, of course, this means that the whole "Social Distancing" strategy we've all been following will only extend the crisis.

We should be promoting Free Love!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is kinda covered by the herd immunity business but because they do not believe in action-at-a-distance it is never properly realised. I agree with your pheromone hypothesis. Otherwise, as I pointed out some time ago, we'd all be brown bread every time, but it is much more complicated than the trees. Who by the way, it will turn out, are only using pheromones as a cover (budworm have ears .. I mean noses). For really secure communications, it's gotta be the mushrooms.
Boreades

Slowly, slowly the quiet thoughtful news is percolating to the surface.

The Office for National Statistics said there were 18,500 deaths in the week up to 10 April - about 8,000 more than is normal at this time of year.

So : less than half due to coronavirus?

A third were linked to coronavirus, but deaths from other causes also increased, suggesting the lockdown may be having an indirect impact on health. .. a separate analysis by NHS England which showed since 8 April the number of deaths in hospitals have been falling when you look at the date of death.

All the non-stop doom-news of people dying in hospital tends to reinforce the old adage in people's minds: You don't want to be in a hospital, it's full of sick people.

The figures presented by the ONS are different from those used by the government on a daily basis and the NHS England analysis. Those rely on hospital cases confirmed by tests, whereas the ONS has used death certificates which show both fatalities in hospital and in the community on a weekly basis.

The "ordinary" kinds of deaths don't get headline media coverage and government attention.

Nearly 185,000 people have died in 2020 compared with around 175,000 on average over the past five years at this point of the year.

Only a 5.7% change?

The number of deaths from flu and pneumonia - at more than 32,000 - is three times higher than the total number of coronavirus deaths this year.

Strange risk assessments? We lockdown for the less-likely event and ignore the more-likely event.

Some also believe the number of coronavirus deaths have been under-reported - a lack of testing outside hospital means it is down to doctors to use their clinical judgement to decide cause of death.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52361519

Maybe doctors outside hospitals (i.e. GPs) have better clinical judgement?

"XYZ Long Term Illness" + no coronavirus = Death later
"XYZ Long Term Illness" + a case of coronavirus = Death sooner

Conclusion? A case of coronavirus is not the direct cause of death, it just hastens mortality from XYZ Long Term Illness.

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A most valuable analysis. However we have to apply the felicific calculus and concede that, right now, one covid death is the equivalent of five Aunty Gladys's kicking the bucket in their nursing homes. "It was her time, you know. Not that I was wishing it on her but still what did she have to look forward to?"

We can only pray that the world goes back to ... when was was it? ... oh, yes, last year, when everyone was an Aunty Gladys. A statistic. Even the twenty-seven truly unlucky hospital doctors who died when they picked up a normally non-fatal infection when treating all the Aunty Gladys's.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Under a caption St Corona -- patron saints of pandemics comes this

Over the centuries, St Corona was often prayed to by people seeking her help in times of trouble, be it heavy storms or livestock diseases.

So not pandemics but close.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Jump to:  
Page 23 of 73

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in