MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Continents Adrift (Geophysics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Should the Hattytroll have mentioned the Caledonian Canal as "prior art"? Almost at sea-level...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Since you raise the point, consider this:
1. Scotland was under several thousand feet of ice which erases all surface features
2. Scotland has been out from under the ice for 12,000 years
3. Therefore all Scottish surface features are no older than twelve thousand years
4. The Caledonian Canal fissure is a surface feature
5. Therefore it is less than twelve thousand years old
6. Acadamic geomorphologists claim the Caledonian Canal fissure is millions of years old
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

I'm qualified to answer this as I have a MBO degree*

The Caledonian Canal fissure may have filled (and then unfilled) with each Ice Age. Presumably it gets a good scouring (or bottom wipe) with each successive Ice Age. Wiping the slate/granite clean of any previous evidence.

Where Nessie's ancestors were hiding during the last Ice Age is the next question.

*Master of the Bleeding Obvious
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Not obvious to me, I'm afraid. The fissure wouldn't survive the ice for more than an afternoon. Nessie holds a world record: most world attention from a single faked photo.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 6

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in