MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dark Age Obscured (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I can't bear it, I just can't bear it. They start digging at one of the four thousand and find fifteen bodies, all women, children or babies.

It is curious, there are no males at all. Clive thinks they may have been captured, forced to join the attacking tribe.

"Hey, guys, wanna join us?"
"Too right. What's first, a swift jar?"
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The last item in the programme was the Jersey Hoard, an enormous cache of coins (and other valuable trade goods) made, as the bloke put it, 99.5% before 62 BC which pretty much tied it down datewise, and minted in or immediately to the south of St Mâlo which pretty much tied it down place-wise. There are two competing explanations for the presence of this stupendous find on Jersey, far too small an island to need this amount of gear for local needs. Ours and theirs.

You’ve all seen our version which is that Jersey is an entrepôt exchange point between the tin and copper coming from Britain, and more to the point from Burgh Island (tin) and Chesil Beach (copper) and going to St Mâlo, the port of entry for the European markets for these metals. Score one for us.

Their explanation was that the locals around St Mâlo were frightened of Julius Caesar coming towards them and moved their money offshore to avoid him. The fact that Caesar didn’t even set foot in Gaul until 58 BC didn't seem to bother them one little bit. Score none for them.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The latest theory c/o the Daily Mail is that the Jersey Hoard is two separate caches from different places and dates buried together.

Asterix "Yikes the Romans are coming over the hill"

Obelisk "Never fear, I will chuck a menhir at them"

Asterix "No. First we must hide our stash of coins on a far off island"

Obelisk " Great idea, but first I will run over to our much hated neighboring tribe, to see if they would like to join us in this cunning venture to outsmart the Legions"

Asterix " Err." "Why don't you just stick to tossing the menhirs"
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38

Jump to:  
Page 38 of 38

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in