MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant

Have you been watching White House Farm? Always found this case fascinating. Not whether Bamber is guilty or not - I think he probably was - but because he was only found guilty because the whole case was like an episode of Midsummer Murders.
Big house in country. Beautiful girl who kills her whole family. Looks open and shut but in walks good looking lady's man who will inherit the lot. Wait a minute! Gun was too long for girl to shoot herself with. LOL.
No wonder two of the jury members thought he wasn't guilty
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I was first drawn to the case when initial publicity said it was all down to him boasting about it to his girlfriend. There's an AE point to this because when we fall in love we assume it's for ever even though with another part of our brain we know it won't be. But the next time I saw it this aspect seemed to have slipped away. I await this iteration's denouement.(tomorrow).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Exposed: The Church's Dark Secret BBC-2

When there's a cover-up by the hierarchy it is always treated as shameful, unChristian etc etc and quite possibly they'll have to pay out some compensation to victims. But the clear evidence in this case, with the police asking Lambeth Palace about it and them keeping quiet about the letters they have just received from other victims, is not shameful or unChristian, it is an open-and-shut case of Conspiring to Pervert the Course of Justice and the Archbishop of Canterbury should have been taken away in a police car with blue flashing lights.

PS By any normal standards this is a BBC-1 programme. Somebody should ask for the Governors' Minutes to see whose idea it was to put it out on BBC-2.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

I didn't watch The Church's Dark Secret, maybe it was the lurid-sounding title, but was struck by a comment in Catching a Killer: A Diary from the Grave. The killer, a priest, had been sussed by a church psychiatrist as 'probably a psychopath' in an earlier interview.

It hadn't occurred to me that would-be priests have to be analysed/vetted, a good thing too if negative results carry weight. Apparently they don't so is it just a box-ticking procedure or are church psychiatrists not much cop?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

An unexpected revelation in the Exposed: The Church's Dark Secret programme is the support and friendship given to the outed bishop by Prince Charles. Following the recent outrage over Andrew's relationship with a convicted paedophile, this could be getting a bit sticky for the royals.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I had the same thought but I think it's unfair. These charlatans fool everybody and the most successful fool everybody all the way to the top. Margaret Thatcher was fooled too and nobody thinks the worse of her.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One thing all these Was-He-A-Nazi-Traitor conspiracy theory telly programmes should do is to knock off the moralising. The usually sound Picknetts were on about it yesterday. Unless you are at war there is no crime in exploring alliances with all sorts (everybody shrieks that we should have been in bed with Joseph Stalin). This is foreign policy for Chrissake not ring a ring a rosie. And during the war it isn't a crime to put out peace feelers either.

Though involving a fake Rudolph Hess might be a crime against conspiracy theories on account of it requiring a coupla dozen Nazis at Nuremburg and at Spandau not noticing that somebody they had been in daily contact with for years had suddenly become someone else.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

COBRA (Sky One)

This was very good and I was trying to work out why. Severe lack of flashbacks helped, perfunctory back stories, nil love interest, people seemed to vaguely know what they were doing. Everybody appeared to be roughly of the right race and gender for the positions held. Yes, most promising.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Vera (ITV-1)

Blimey, they've got fish farms. It's not all call centres.
Grant

I realised the other day that I have never watched an episode of Poirot, Vera, Midsummer Murders etc and actually followed it. I watch it, but if you asked me how the detective solved it, I wouldn't have a clue. I wonder if I have ADHD
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It may already be too late for you, Grant, a doctor writes. With the advent of Netflix et al, the investment in time (two hours plus rest periods) is now marginal, whereas before we would watch programmes about canals and treat these blockbusters as our domestic watercooler moments.

My advice is to decide, ten minutes in, do I care? But here's the trick. If you remember to ask yourself this question it means you don't. If you have an aged mother who demands to know whodunnit because she dropped off towards the end (yeah, right) just say, "It was the bloke who was out when the police called round." That usually gets an acknowledging grunt but if she says, "What bloke?" just say, "Oh, mum, not again, are you sure you were actually watching CSI Midsomer? I really think it might be time..."

PS I never found out whether the fish farm was central to the story or just a picturesque setting for the body/Vera/medical examiner interface scene. You soon run out of such settings in the north-east. Why can't they be useful and start digging up Holy Island?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Lindisfarne Mystery (AEL-1)

Archaeology
Lindisfarne Island is, per hectare, the most exhaustively studied area of land in the world
History
Lindisfarne Island is, per hectare, mentioned more often in early medieval texts than any other area of land in the world

Both of the above is due to Lindisfarne (the Holy Island) being a centre of Northumbrian Christianity in the period 600-1100 AD. No pre-1100 AD ecclesiastical archaeology has ever been found on Lindisfarne. This can only be explained by one of the following being true:

1. There is plenty of archaeology but British archaeologists are the most incompetent in the world
2. The early medieval texts are all forgeries and British historians are the most incompetent in the world
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

There is an excellent job opportunity for Mick, now that Tony Hall has resigned.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

They couldn't afford me.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Actually that's literally true. You spend most of your life daydreaming about what it would be like if you were doing this or that mighty job (probably not BBC Director-General but something with a bit of oomph) but I, for one, have ended up doing the perfect job. I might wish I were better at it, or more successful at it, or even got paid more for it, but I wouldn't do any other job in preference to it. Is that just me or is it something that comes with maturity?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 145, 146, 147  Next

Jump to:  
Page 59 of 147

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in