MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Megalithic Saints (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

You haven't mentioned the 'careful ignoral'. As one of the most important finds for Denmark (not to mention Europe) they could probably have taken a sliver of one of the zillions of wood, bone, harness, textile and even board game fragments for a carbon test. We can send over a few hundred quid from AEL reserves if they can't afford one. But no, they prefer a gilded link of bronze for a dog-harness, decorated in the Jelling style, to date it all.

I know you'll think it's a coincidence too far but it was my dog's birthday the other week and I took him to Pets'R'Us as I do every year, to pick something out. "Have you got any dog harnesses?" I asked the assistant. "Yes, what style were you looking for? We've got some nice Jelling just come in." But my dog wouldn't hear of it, he just wanted a book token as per usual.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Monastic site founded by St Moulag discovered on Scottish island
Archaeologists from the Lismore Historical Society have announced the discovery of a stone built monastic site on the Hebridean Isle of Lismore.

If so, a large part of my and Hattie's work is blown out of the water. Is 'a monastic site' a monastery? We are about to find out.

According to the researchers, the site dates from the 7th to 10th century AD and was likely founded by St Moluag, an Irish missionary who evangelized the Picts on the western seaboard of Scotland. Lismore had long been an important religious centre for the Gaelic kingdom of Dalriada, which likely motivated the decision to found a monastic community in AD 562. Irish missionaries had learnt to focus heavily on the similarity and continuity between early Christianity and Paganism rather than the differences between them.

We won't have to worry about any of this though. Just the usual gleanings from vastly later texts.

However, according to tradition, the rock on which Moluag stood detached itself from the Irish coast and he drifted across to the island of the Lyn of Lorn in Argyll, now called the Isle of Lismore in Loch Linnhe.

Let's hope they're not relying on tradition too much.

Following a six year community led project on the island, members from the Lismore Historical Society have uncovered an oval stone building and a workshop where craft workers manufactured jewellery from precious metals. Radiocarbon dating has placed the building to the 7th-10th century AD during the period of the early monastery.

So after six years they still haven't found the monastery. They've got an oval building and (or as maybe, is) a workshop.

The study has so far discovered fragments of around 120 crucibles, broken ceramic moulds for making penannular brooches, and carvings made in stone, wood, bone and antler. According to a press statement by the Lismore Historical Society: “XRF analysis of the surfaces of these crucibles at the National Museum of Scotland has revealed that they were used for melting copper-alloys, silver and gold.

Most industrious of them, ancient and modern, but what connection does it have with this monastery we were promised?

This fine craft activity is evidence of a sophisticated and influential monastic centre, the society said, with analysis and conservation of 1500 significant finds from the site ongoing.

Or it will do as soon as they find the monastery. Six years? Longer than that is my ongoing verdict.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

Jump to:  
Page 22 of 22

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in