MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

He's a law professor at Hunan University.

Du Gangjian seems to have spread his wings quite a bit, as he is a law professor at Hunan University. The claims about the origins of Anglo-Saxons and the English language are part of a bigger claim that China is the origin of civilization for the world.
https://www.isidorsfugue.com/2019/03/chinese-professor-claims-british-people.html

It's hard to find any information that isn't in Chinese. From the page linked to in the above blog post it seems he's not the only Chinese person to write on the topic.

In fact, Du Jiangang’s point of view is not new. Before him, people had already published books that "argued" that "an ancient Greek civilization is fictitious", "an ancient Roman civilization is fictitious", and even "Western civilization is fictitious."

..He Xin is the most influential one. In 2013 and 2015, he compiled a blog post and published the Greek Pseudo-History and the Greek Pseudo-Renewal.

In addition, "the birth of the people without borders" "packaged Western civilization" (2012), Dong Hesheng "fictional ancient Greek civilization: European "classical history" identification" (2015), and the mystery "fictional Western civilization history : The ancient and modern Western "Reproduction of China" (2017) and so on have also come out."

(this is all using Google translate)

These books, including the Source of Civilization and the World of Datong, have one thing in common, that is, they hope to set off the ancient and advanced Chinese civilization through the falsification of ancient Greece and ancient Roman civilization.

He Xin opened the preface to the book "Greek Pseudo-History":

"Fake ancient Greece is a cultural movement. This movement began in the 'Renaissance' period around the 14th century."

I think they're all somewhere on the spectrum between renegade historian and crank. Hard to tell where on the line they fall though. If I can find any better information I'll post it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Mozart once complained to God that there weren't enough hours in the day. God replied that there were exactly as many as needed. I find myself agreeing with both points of view which is worrying because it may mean I have resigned myself to third place. Fourth if you include Dominic Cummings.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This twat told me I should read Dominic Cummings' blog so I told him not only had I read it, not only had I critiqued it on the AEL, not only had I told Cummings I had critiqued it but that the miserable worm hadn't even had the decency to reply.

"Really? I'll ask him to if you like, he's a good friend of mine," this twat said.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Where's the critique on the AEL?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It ranges over two posts. Modesty dictates I urge you to use our splendid search function to find them.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You will recall my mousemat triumph but what you won't know is that everything turned to ashes because the presence of the calculator and the wrist support made the business part so small my cursor could never reach parts of the screen I needed to reach. After weeks of frustration and on the point of giving up, I discovered a button on the top of the mouse that, once pressed, allows your cursor to zoom around to its heart's content. To all parts bar none with nary a flick. It's a fearsome beast at present but I am confident of mastering it. A lesson to fainthearts everywhere.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

N R Scott wrote:
He's a law professor at Hunan University.

Du Gangjian seems to have spread his wings quite a bit, as he is a law professor at Hunan University. The claims about the origins of Anglo-Saxons and the English language are part of a bigger claim that China is the origin of civilization for the world.
https://www.isidorsfugue.com/2019/03/chinese-professor-claims-british-people.html

It's hard to find any information that isn't in Chinese. From the page linked to in the above blog post it seems he's not the only Chinese person to write on the topic.

In fact, Du Jiangang’s point of view is not new. Before him, people had already published books that "argued" that "an ancient Greek civilization is fictitious", "an ancient Roman civilization is fictitious", and even "Western civilization is fictitious."

..He Xin is the most influential one. In 2013 and 2015, he compiled a blog post and published the Greek Pseudo-History and the Greek Pseudo-Renewal.

In addition, "the birth of the people without borders" "packaged Western civilization" (2012), Dong Hesheng "fictional ancient Greek civilization: European "classical history" identification" (2015), and the mystery "fictional Western civilization history : The ancient and modern Western "Reproduction of China" (2017) and so on have also come out."

(this is all using Google translate)

These books, including the Source of Civilization and the World of Datong, have one thing in common, that is, they hope to set off the ancient and advanced Chinese civilization through the falsification of ancient Greece and ancient Roman civilization.

He Xin opened the preface to the book "Greek Pseudo-History":

"Fake ancient Greece is a cultural movement. This movement began in the 'Renaissance' period around the 14th century."

I think they're all somewhere on the spectrum between renegade historian and crank. Hard to tell where on the line they fall though. If I can find any better information I'll post it.

In general terms (after learning mandarin) I think the best approach is in fact to treat Chinese history the way we treat British history. We ignore orthodoxy, ie Marxist Mao Zedong thought, and think clearly about the differences between, diviners, archivists, scribes and historians. There is a bit of truth in the Chinese = cyclical history but not a lot.

The Chinese have only themselves to blame for copying many of our 18th and 19th century mistakes. Maybe they have realised that not all western social science is as effective as the inventions, products and natural science which they also copied and is what really led to the, err, "Great leap forward."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Talking of twats I know and love there's this other one who has been driving me nuts because we work together all day and her (I mean his or her) computer kept being unable to load this vital thingy. I kept saying, "Why don't you just wait to see if it will load, mine takes a good twenty seconds some days." And she always says, "Oh, do shut up" or words to that effect. Anyway we had a huge workload today and she claimed we couldn't do anything at all because this thingy simply wouldn't work and we wouldn't be able to do anything all week until Number One son (as he or she calls him) can get her a new computer, one with enough memory to load this thingy. I said, "Let's try one last thing."
"Oh, all right then if it will stop you being so grumpy," s/he said.
"Turn it on and wait twenty seconds," I said.
"Oh, that's strange... it's completely fixed. Archie will be pleased he won't have to get me a new computer. Now can we get on, we've wasted enough time as it is."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Have you ever seen the like? I took a baking tray out of the oven and the surface had started to peel. Well, did you know that non-stick is a form of adhesive material not a form of metal like stainless steel? I sort of did -- wasn't it the chief benefit of the space race? -- but I've never come face to face with the stark reality before. Next question, should I carry on using it or is non-stick going to start congealing with my food and I will die? Since it only cost a pound, should I just bin it with no further ado? It has little or no sentimental value.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Schumacher having 'secret treatment'

A fascinating concept. I don't think they mean 'shameful' as per our visits to the VD clinic and obviously 'secret' is relative now that my website provider has told its eight thousand billion readers but in any case it's an established procedure in all cultures that medical treatment is 'secret' in the sense of being confidential. I expect they mean 'unorthodox' which is why I bring it to your attention. 'Unorthodox' is always disreputable and one should constantly keep that in mind.

PS My campaign to uncover the human agency behind my spell checker continues apace. We know that he, she or they have heard of an obscure Moravian economist called Schumpeter but not an ex-Formula One World Champion called Schumacher.

PPS My mouse demands you press the button every damned morning. These people, do they not understand we are very busy people?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Wile E. Coyote wrote:

In general terms (after learning mandarin) I think the best approach is in fact to treat Chinese history the way we treat British history. We ignore orthodoxy, ie Marxist Mao Zedong thought, and think clearly about the differences between, diviners, archivists, scribes and historians. There is a bit of truth in the Chinese = cyclical history but not a lot.

The Chinese have only themselves to blame for copying many of our 18th and 19th century mistakes. Maybe they have realised that not all western social science is as effective as the inventions, products and natural science which they also copied and is what really led to the, err, "Great leap forward."

I missed out astrologers.
Boreades

And sociologists?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

People always used to stop me in the streets, "You must read The Brothers Karamazov, Mick." Whereupon a window would fly up, "Especially the Grand Inquisitor's speech." I of course carried on reading my Whizzer (and Chips). Time passed and I discovered "the radio" (like TV but without the pictures and can be found at nos 900 et seq on your set top box) and now I'm into my third hour of a Brothers Karamazov dramatisation.

I have to tell you it is complete tosh. Entertaining tosh -- like Emmerdale Farm before it became Emmerdale -- but tosh all the same. We haven't got to the Grand Inquisitor's speech yet but I am expecting it any day now because Dimitri having spurned the beautiful and rich Katerina who is hopelessly in love with him in order to pursue the village strumpet, Grushenka, who has spurned him to take up with her long lost Polish officer who she has now spurned on account of him wearing a wig, has killed his dad (who was also slipping it to Grushenka) and is about to be arrested by the police. And there are still two brothers to go. Now listen on...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Mick vs The Sainsbury Deli Counter

Some garlic sausage, please
We're right out, I'm afraid.
Danish salami?
No, sorry.
Mortadella?
We're still waiting.
Chorizo?
There's no demand.

What it's going to be like after we leave is anybody's guess.
Boreades

Are you sure you weren't in the National Cheese Emporium?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 49 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in