MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 260, 261, 262  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurelius

The holes had all gone by then, by the way.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

In your mind, clear and deliberate will be clear.

Sorry, I forgot the intelligence levels of AE posters. If you are seeking to cut down on passes back to the goalie to speed up the game you frame the laws (and the accompanying Notes for Referees) to cut down on passes back to the goalie. Unavoidably, there will be occasions when the ball has come from the foot of the defender and has arrived in the vicinity of the goalie. All the ref (and the goalie) has to do is decide between ‘was this a deliberate backpass’ or something else. If there is any doubt he errs on the side of ‘something else’. Why? Because it matters not one whit whether there is the occasional (what? one per three games?) additional backpass if the intention is to speed up the game.

But that’s not what’s happened. The no pass back has become factored into the way the game is played so now a refereeing error (even if only once per three games) impinges on the way the game is played. With the usual ructions. I’m not complaining, by the way, I love ructions, me. Only pointing out that these disputes arise from something that was not part of the original purpose. It is still not too late to go back to the original and tell referees, if in doubt, always assume 'something else'. Which they manifestly do not do at present. Actually my impression is that they are always looking to blow for a backpass if they possibly can because referees always like the sound of their own whistle and absolutely adore indirect free kicks three yards from goal where they can fuss around to their heart's content.

Which brings us to those indirect free kicks at the point of the offence and those weird goal-line melees (and actually led to an England goal). Though exciting in themselves these should not be permitted because they are impossible to referee and are a complete lottery. And, of course, point to the probability that the goalie didn't consider it was a backpass in the first place. A direct free kick from the nearest point outside the penalty area would be better.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Though, to be fair, equal pay is an issue in American soccer -- where there is to be a defining court case shortly -- because the women are huge and the men are mostly Wayne Rooney who yesterday scored from seventy yards for DC United against Beckham's Orlando. Or sixty-four metres to you Europeans.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Lots of coverage on Lionesses.

Where are the Husbands and Boyfriends?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Isn't the name Lionesses itself sexist? We'll be calling female actors 'actresses' next. What's the position about parents on touchlines watching their ten-year-old daughters? Do they fight amongst themselves just the same? And what do they shout instead of "Come on, my son"? I don't want to worry you but it may be time for men to move on.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
Isn't the name Lionesses itself sexist? We'll be calling female actors 'actresses' next. What's the position about parents on touchlines watching their ten-year-old daughters? Do they fight amongst themselves just the same? And what do they shout instead of "Come on, my son"? I don't want to worry you but it may be time for men to move on.

Based on my experience about twelve years ago we still shouted "come on, [name]" "Pass!" And ["manager name",] who was not looking, "that was my daughter's shot" and the like. Oh and one gets to carry goal posts, balls and equipment to practice.

Being a parental linesman is more difficult than it looks. Hard to tell in a scuffle whose foot directed the ball out of play.

No scuffling between yelling parents though.

Hmmm, my previous post disappeared into the Black Hole of Hawking...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You need actual fisticuffs. That way the grown ups can join in. But talking of sports that will never catch on, the Yankees and the Red Sox are in London for two baseball matches this week. Which meant they needed four British-themed mascots for the mascot race. Enter Henry VIII, Winston Churchill, Freddy Mercury and the Loch Ness Monster. The American commentators went into fits of derision: "The Loch Ness Monster's from Sca-a-artland, it ain't even from Great Britain."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So, Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben are leaving Bayern Munich. I can't remember a time when they weren't playing for Bayern Munich, one on each wing, even though nobody plays with one winger much less two. Plus I distinctly remember Arjen Robben being at Chelsea where he wasn't up to much so he went off to be a permanent superstar with permanent superchamps, Bayern. What do they know. You can't win anything with wingers. You can't wing anything with winners. You can't ... look... I'm just a bit overwrought, all right? The passing of the Age of Innocence. Something.
Wile E. Coyote

The US women's football team has declined to attend the White House in the event of them winning.

Trump has tweeted them to get on and win it first.

We Brits are not even contemplating winning so gesture politics doesn't really apply. No.... we Brits are planning to celebrate a glorious failure.

Football was almost coming home.....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We've lost already? That sucks. I wasn't going to watch England vs USA anyway but now I'm definitely not going to.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Aurelius's fellow-villagers were so impressed at his ability to carry goalposts they've asked him to play Jesus in the annual Passion Play. (Tickets from the Vicar and StubHub.) Aurelius got out of it by insisting the part had to go to a Jewish actor.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I discovered today (thanks to Al-Jazeera that I've just taken up) that Yoga is a competitive sport. This would appear to be quite the opposite of the contemplative and spiritual exercises it started out as but everyone seemed deeply relaxed about the duality.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Arsenal have signed Gabriel Martinelli from the Brazilian fourth division in case they don't get the £80 million Wilfred Zaha over the line. Wilf was a boyhood Arsenal fan which is more than I can say. But we both hated Palace which is the main thing. Ah, football. It's good summer's here.
Wile E. Coyote

The women are no better than the men at punditry, the ex players think we are going to win.

Only a shit would bet against their own team.

Hang on they can't all be wrong. Can they? They must know something. I will stick a tenner on.
aurelius

Ellen White, I still love you.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 260, 261, 262  Next

Jump to:  
Page 88 of 262

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in