MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

And they're still using Archimedes screws!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I appreciate Grantchester is set in the fifties but would a DCI really open a drawer at a crime scene, see two glasses and a bottle of spirits, say "I wonder who he was with" and proceed to pick up the glasses with his bare hands? He'll probably charge himself with murder when the glasses come back from the lab.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Wow! Lucy Worsley lifted a whole tranche about why Japan surrendered (it was the Russian Manchurian offensive) and why everybody pretended it was something else (the Yanks dropping A-bombs) from my Unreliable History. Now it probably wasn't directly from me but even so it is the first time in any of her telly series that she's said something that isn't strict orthodoxy. Juicier Lucy than I thought possible.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

But then she crashed back to earth with McCarthyism. Your brief, ma petite, was to produce a series on American historical fibs not historical American fibbers but even so, as a historian making a history series for the BBC, you really are expected to demonstrate that McCarthy was a fibber. The only evidence you produced was a talking head who claimed that McCarthyite inquisitors doctored witness statements. Now since one of them was Robert Kennedy that is a definite possibility but it is a strange liar who hands over their lies to the defence attorneys so they can say, “Well, that’s not what he said and I've got my own notes to prove it.”

I am sure there was plenty of overzealousness (especially if Robert Kennedy was involved) but not, I think we can agree, worth ten minutes of prime time on Great Lies of American History. Ms Worsley might though consider making a series on Robert Kennedy, the Early Arsehole Years. I’d watch that.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We've reached the episode where the chief investigating officer (Vera) has a personal interest in the case (was her dad a bent copper?). I'm still not quite sure due to plot twists especially as, after seventy-eight two hour episodes, we had never been told her father was a policeman in the first place so I'm now forced into a marathon re-watch of box-sets because such a secret in such a clannish society points to all sorts of contextual and other references I might have missed.

The Law of Diminishing Series Returns dictates the next episode will feature a guest star (probably Jane Tennyson from 'London') and that will be the end. On the whole I shall miss it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Morse's moustache (Endeavour ITV-1). I'm not convinced. I'm putting my reputation as an interpreter of popular culture on the line and predicting it will be gone by next Sunday. The tension will mount, day by day, as we await to see whether I'm right, but as long as we stick together as a team, we should see it through.
Grant

Funny how quickly people forget the way things were done. No way would DI Thursday have actually attended a hanging. I'm surprised the murderer wasn't sent to the chair.
Grant

And would Morse really be sent back to uniform? He's solved dozens of murders and won the George Medal!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Of course he would! Do you think scriptwriters ignore provenance like academics? First there was the reorganisation and the hick squad (Thursday & Morse) are merged with the flash city squad and their old boss (and protector) is put on Pelican Patrol. Then there is the fatal shooting of one of Thursday's team and everybody has to be downgraded. Thursday can't be returned to uniform (because he's the legendary 'Thursday ') so his punishment is to be a DI under DCI Slicker DickHead Complete Bastard But Capable Of Redemption.

Morse is a nobody. He's a detective sergeant for Chrissake. Just because he's solved every complex case west of Cambridge doesn't mean his name goes on the docket. He'll get promoted when it's his time. It was only his GM that saved him from losing his stripes altogether. So now he is a uniform sergeant driving around in a panda and serves him right for being too clever by half. Crime is there for a purpose, not to be solved.

But now the scriptwriters can start weaving their magic as academics do. I should be employed by the TV Times. More intelligent readership.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'm fed up with sex always being shown in the missionary position. Why can't the bloke be on top once in a while?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In my increasingly crazed search to fill in the last few gaps in my polymathry I bookmarked Bad Chad Customs. So if any of you want to know how to personalise a pre-war Studebaker let me know.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'd just grown to love my new Sky Sports USA channel when I couldn't find it anymore. I'm on Virgin and this sort of quiet skulduggery between the two often goes on so I wasn't greatly worried. But it seems not

Sky is launching a new sports service dedicated to American sports. Sky Sports USA will launch on January 3 and run to February 15

No, no, it's fine, I can manage perfectly well with your other sixty-five sports channels. Sorry to have bothered you, Mr Murdoch. I'll know to be more careful about how I bestow my affections in future.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

“Our reporter went to the constituency to gauge opinion on the ground.”

“I don’t think she ought to have resigned like that, no. Left us all in the lurch.”
“She’s just, you know, showing how independent, she is. You’ve got to admire her spirit. There should be more like her.”
“I don’t know really. It could be a wake up call but they’re all just after number one, aren't they?”

“Hello, is that the office? Yes, we got one of each. We're coming back on the train now.”
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I reckon Stan and Ollie should have won the oscar for best picture, as it had one thin person, and a very fat one.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So there really is someone out there who watches the Oscars ceremony. I wondered who it was.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 145, 146, 147  Next

Jump to:  
Page 42 of 147

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in