MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Yes, it's finally arrived! Our new book An Unreliable History of the Second World War hits the bookstands on 1st August 2018, a date that will live in infamy. If you don't have a bookstand handy it's here at Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unreliable-History-Second-World-War/dp/0954291131/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531511121&sr=1-4&keywords=m+j+harper
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Why is it, no matter how sternly I tuck it in, the corner of my fitted sheet has come off during the night? It's not poltergeists, I've checked.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

#1 son is a font of useless information. (Just like his Dad).
But just occasionally, there's a gem in the dross. (Just like his Dad).
Who said that?

The gem today was about the most popular foreign languages that people are learning around the world. Meaning not their own language.

Like, in Pakistan, the most popular foreign language is French. Why?
And the same in Australia. It's French. Why?
And in New Zealand, it's Spanish. Why?

And the second most popular languages.

Assuming people have a choice(?) in what they are learning. or even if they have no choice? It shows some interesting shifts.

Interestingly, the most learned language in Sweden is Swedish, which Duolingo suggests is due to high immigration. The same case can be seen in Norway where Norwegian is the second most popular language to learn and in the United States where English is the second most popular language to learn.

https://www.indy100.com/article/a-map-of-the-world-according-to-what-languages-we-want-to-learn--WJi8N97EzW

I suppose, in an AEL kind of way, the only countries of interest are the ones that don't have English as their first-language and it's not the first choice language to learn? Otherwise the English language empire rules the whole world!

I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There are two AE rules about this. First off, English is the only language that should be learned as a second language since it is the world language. Second, English-speakers shouldn't waste their time learning any second language because a) apart from English, there is no other language that has much functionality and b) even spending five years at school, one lesson per day, learning that language means you can't speak it with any functionality anyway.

There are two caveats. If you have a functional need to learn a language, go ahead. According to Trust Me, I'm a Doctor last night, learning a second language has brain benefits, especially for older people.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As you know, I try to avoid organic foodstuffs on account of their close associations with manure, compost heaps and my brother. But Tesco only had organic Black Peppercorns. They weren't Fair Trade so I took a chance.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
One day we'll all be toast, as Dame Nellie Melba said.

Wiley has come into possession of an Indian tea pot, said to have been given to Dame Clara Butt by an infatuated Indian Maharaja. It was whilst on tour of India that the six foot two inch Clara was famously insulted by Dame Nellie.

‘sing ’em muck!’

When Clara protested, Dame Nellie doubled down, along the lines of that no insult was intended, but with your repertoire what choice have you. It makes these Rapper feuds seem pretty tepid.

Proving provenance to satisfy Orthodoxy of said pot is proving difficult
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You can't carbon date porcelain (I assume) china but you can carbon date the tea stains, if it was used contemporaneously. If it comes out at about the right date you can provisionally accept it as no forger could stain a pot with the requisite tea leaves. Bear in mind maharajahs were well known for keeping about the place -- as the wags put it -- 'old tat for new houris' so a much earlier date than expected is acceptable. Alternatively you could use argon luminescence and while that would destroy the pot you would be vindicated in the eyes of orthodoxy whichever way the verdict went.

Perhaps we could assist more if you told us how it came into your possession. A car boot sale is by no means exclusionary in these sorts of cases but if your wife is a Butt, that would carry more weight. You have not been charged for this advice.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I know you're all busy people but it will only take five minutes.

I just filled this in to ask the City of London to keep Hampstead ladies pond open to trans women as well as cis women. If you love the ladies pond you should demand it be kept open to all women. Filling this survey in took like five minutes.
Grant

I realise that some people here believe some goofy things but you now believe that women have penises?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I must confess I don't understand these new gender divisions. Too old I expect. I'm not completely comfortable with gay men yet so what chance have I got with these more exotic members of the sexual galère?

I was watching a quite promising (i.e. entirely baffling) Australian conspiracy thriller on Netflix when the Security Service turned up in the person of a (I take it) gender-reassessed man-to-woman. The first problem was being able to listen to someone who looked and sounded like a man but who was dressed as and believed herself to be a woman. (But now I come to think about it, he may have been a cross-dressing straight man as per Grayson Perry on Late Night Extra.) I wanted to take the situation at face value but I kept being distracted by questions like

1. Would any security service, much less Ocker MI5, already be recruiting trans people?
2. Would an actor playing a trans person have to be himself/ herself a trans person?
3. Am I expected to factor the trans factor into the plot or is this going to be determinedly irrelevant?
4. Can I safely assume s/he won't be a baddie for PC reasons?
5. S/he seems to be an old mucker of the heroine/investigator, but is this for explicatory purposes (essential in conspiracy thrillers) or is it intrinsic to the story line?

But by this time I had lost the plot and decided to check out the new season Bojack Horseman instead. A horse playing the ex-star of a kids' sit com I can handle without breaking sweat.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here in London we've got some new plasticky things filled with liquid soap (and possibly other things, it says Bold 3-in-1) which you just lob into your washing machine, stick your clothes on top, press the button and that's it! But take care when they do roll the concept out to your neighbourhood because, try as you might, you won't be able to find it afterwards. It has somehow become warp and woof with your clothes.

This clearly defies a number of physical laws so I live in dread that the plasticky bit will pop out of one of my turn-ups next time I'm at a big function, no doubt to everyone's vast amusement. Hence I would dearly like to go back to my big box of powder if only Tesco would allow me to.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Am I the only one pissed off by the irritating use of trope?

I still don't know what it means, but it's something like idea or trait when used by someone wanting to sound clever.

Aaargh. Thinking about it and posting , is just making it worse. The modern trope to use trope to sound important....is really doing my head in. It's trope bollox.

Can Admin boot off all those that use trope. Starting with me.
admin
Librarian

Yes, agreed. No mention of tropes from today.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If you read carefully, that wasn't his plea for help.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

No mention of 'trope' unless you explain what it is you're trying to say. While we're here, there are bound to be other meaningless but important-sounding words that cover up lack of clarity.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 31 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in