MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

One day we'll all be toast, as Dame Nellie Melba said.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Nice work if you can get it.

Translator Jennifer Croft joined Tokarczuck on the podium to accept a half share of the £50,000 Man Booker International Prize
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You can tell how hard a man works by the state of his mouse mat.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
I was always confident that a new improved version of MH would arrive.

I'm hoping for one too.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As a matter of fact it is arriving on 1st August. I cannot mention its name as it will be picked up by Google and I am waiting its first mention having sent out review copies. So far, so nil. And no, none of you is getting a free copy, you will just have to purchase it (from Amazon for £9.95) on the 1st of August. I will know if one of you does since that will make it c. the 23,000 best selling book on Amazon that day. Hence I will know if none of you does. And that will make me very cross indeed. All day.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have just been out for a coffee with an old friend who had half an hour between engagements. After the usual pleasantries we settled down to geriatric one-upmanship. I said casually that Will Self had read one of my books. "I went to see the Stones at Twickenham," he replied. I sensed danger but blundered in anyway. "You and seventy-five thousand others." "My daughter is friends with the Jagger children so we went backstage."

I appeal to the panel: Will Self or Mick Jagger?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My last hero is gone.

@DrJaninaRamirez Jun 1
A heads up to anyone at or near @hayfestival ... I’ve signed copies of my new book & it’s available to buy a full MONTH before official release. If it’s good enough for Stewart Lee (who diligently queued up with his family to get a copy today!!! it’s good enough for you!!
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

It's a children's book. Though adults are prone to use their children as a cover story. One person announced he was buying the book on the basis of the author's tweets on England v Columbia.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

No, I'm sorry. The thought of Stuart Lee lining up was just too much. He's royalty.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Guardian's Crime of the Week

The person preparing the script for the forthcoming BBC version of Jane Austen's unfinished novel Sanditon is ... a man.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As an experiment, during the heatwave, I am at my desk stripped to the waist. I have immediately started writing like Ernest Hemingway!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So that's out. I can't help noticing that the media has got very excited about how the heatwave is affecting the whole of the northern hemisphere and is so unprecedented it must be global warming. Call me old fashioned but if it is, we really ought to have had at least twenty such unprecedented events by now. But I don't recall any. But I do recall that we have had the longest run of lousy summers in this man's man's memory.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is not to be taken as evidence of my personal hostility to the reality of global warming.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is not to be taken as evidence of my personal support for the reality of global warming.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Salford Uni's Dr Dan Lomas writes in this month's History Today on Britain, Iran and the not-so-secret 1953 coup (unless you live in the UK). Cheers to Kate Wiles, and go and buy this top mag full of fascinating pieces.

This features in The Unreliable History which was sent to Kate in the hope of getting another Twitterstorm. She hasn't obliged, perhaps this is why. My version was insufficiently revisionist possibly. Insufficiently important probably. Sob. I'm so minor.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 30 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in