MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Wiley has always opposed VAR .

Still now we have a precedent that the players can be called out after the half time whistle has blown to end the half.......

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/16/players-called-back-penalty-half-time-mainz-freiburg-var-chaos

Surely we can call back Germany to restart the game just after the bit where Lampard scored. We can then go on to win the 2010 world cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsliINeFAcc

Of course the Jerries as always have trialed the changes for the next world cup. This means they will have an added advantage and will have teckkies, video refs and sports lawyers in tow. They won't miss a foul.

We will have a glum looking Gareth Southgate.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Brighton 1 (Gross pen 51min) Spurs 1 (Kane 48 min)

Take that, Mo Salah! They come over here, they take our Golden Boots....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've been asked to compose our World Cup song. I've got as far as "Harry Kane, Harry Kane, riding through the glen" but I'm gonna need your help after that.
aurelius

Harry Kane, Harry Kane
Running through the lines
Harry Kane, Harry Kane
He don't waste much time
Chances are he'll score
Defences can't ignore
Harry Kane, Harry Kane, Harry Kane

And if you say you've heard that in a saloon bar I shan't bloody believe you, cos it's copyright Aurelius.

Alternative, more arch ending:

Chances are he'll score
He will claim them all
Harry Kane, Harry Kane, Harry Kane
Wile E. Coyote

Harries goals are incessant,
Scoring is his obsession,
Practices ten times a day,
Score away, Score Away, Score Away
The HK way

To the Tune of Germ Free Adolescent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGROSJbCPV8
Mick Harper
Site Admin

No, no, all far too convoluted for English fans

...with his band of men
feared by le Belge, loved by le monde
Harry Kane, Harry Kane, Harry Kane.

Yes, OK, it needs work. I'm Catford not Bloomsbury.
Wile E. Coyote

Well done both of you. Very Merrie. Might I be as bold to suggest a collaboration?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'm an artist, I don't think it would be appropriate.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Unless you mean in the Bloomsbury sense.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Partner swapping was so rife among the Bloomsbury set that Virginia Woolf once found herself in bed with her own husband.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Nice one, Kyril
Nice one, son
Nice one, Kyril
Let's have another one.

More for alphabetical linguists ... how are the poor dears going to manage not being able to read anything? Those that can read.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So Wenger is going. What are the AE aspects to this? I have been advocating his removal for (I think) about six years despite my readily acknowledging that he has been the best manager, worldwide, for the last thirty years. Looking back, I think I was probably about two years premature because replacing the declining-but-still-good with the new-but-unknown-how-good is a real problem in all things.

Human beings tend to concentrate on the decline (movement) rather than the absolute (stasis). Overall we prefer stasis to movement but only until we have reason to doubt the stasis whereupon we place movement over stasis even when we have reason to doubt the movement. We're just not good in this area and AE should be coming up with some rules-of-thumb.

But why did Wenger overstay for four years? It is right and proper, and probably unavoidable, that such a commanding figure overstay for one year but 'commanding figure' syndrome kicks in -- more often applied in politics -- they are irreplaceable. It is psychiatrically probable that the individual concerned thinks he/she is irreplaceable (even though at some level they must know they are ruining their own legacy) but the important question is why those around them seem to believe it too. By last summer for instance the only people in the world that could not see Wenger had reached the end of the road was Wenger and the Arsenal board. The very people who had most to lose from keeping him on.

Still, we must pay proper obeisance to a Great Man.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Loftus-Cheek, Loftus-Cheek, riding through the glen.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You're the nation's leading club, you need a new manager, do you go out into the street and ask a random person to take on the job? This is essentially what Rangers are doing with Steven Gerrard. You don't believe me? Well, consider this:

1. Virtually every manager is an ex-player
2. Virtually every ex-player couldn't manage a fruit stall

Since 2) vastly outnumbers 1) it is a statistical fact that choosing randomly from 2) is virtually equivalent to taking someone randomly off the street. Football gets round this problem by a winnowing process which (even after the modern fad for FA badges and the like) consists largely of trying out an ex-player at a low-level club where success and failure is relatively unimportant, and perhaps relatively easy, and then he winds his way up until he gets to the Rangers level. But not Rangers it seems.

There is one other factor. Everyone -- including maybe Celtic supporters and certainly including me -- wants Gerrard to succeed. That's because he's an immensely likeable character. The very worst qualification for successful football management.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As I predicted, Liverpool have scorched through. They could be the new Arsenal. We're getting Klopp's assistant as our new manager apparently. He's 'the brains' behind Klopp. Good grief, just what we need, more brains. We'll be the new West Ham at this rate. Still, word is we're due a result in Madrid tonight (Diego Simeone has been told he's going to be the new manager) so at least we'll be cerebral in the Champions League.

PS Why are there so many excellent English full backs around at the moment? Theories would be welcome. Even from Boreades.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 65 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in