MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

American sport is often rocked by ‘domestic abuse’ scandals and these a) turn out to be at the less serious end but b) always result in swingeing (civil) punishments (I mean, we’re talking millions). This is all entirely proper in a rough justice/signal to society sort of way, and is one of the purposes of sport, but India does it all on a grander scale. We might agree that such a sexist society (I think I'm allowed to say that because it outweighs the racism) demands it. But anyway the Indian test player, Mohammed Shami, according to the BBC

has also been charged under laws related to attempted murder, poisoning and criminal intimidation

Maybe so but the reality, as is so often the case in spousal disputes, seems rather more tawdry

Mr Shami's wife, Hasin Jahan, accused him earlier this week of adultery and domestic violence. On Tuesday, Ms Jahan posted a series of messages that Mr Shami had allegedly sent to women during their four-year marriage on her Facebook account. He had several affairs, she alleged, and "tortured [her] physically and mentally over and over again".

but this caught my eye

Ms Jahan has also filed a rape complaint against Mr Shami's elder brother.

Blimey, how does that work?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Arsenal continue to show the way. It is not enough to see to referees and linesmen, in Europe you have to bung the blokes behind the goal-line. And the opposition's goalie of course.
Grant

Arsenal continue to show the way.

Arsenal's true founder, Henry Norris, was a very dodgy businessman.
He probably used bribes to get Arsenal into the first division after the First World War. On the plus side, he moved the club to Highbury and employed Herbert Chapman to start the club's glory days.

When they built the Emirates they put up statues to Henry, Adams and Bergkamp - who aren't even dead! - and ignored the most important man in the club's history.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Two English clubs in the quarters usually means I get to watch four games. Liverpool drawing Man City means I won't even bother to watch two. Football is too boring unless you are interested in the outcome.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Arsenal vs CSKA Moscow

If they try and poison Jack Wilshire I'm coming after them.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
Arsenal vs CSKA Moscow

If they try and poison Jack Wilshire I'm coming after them.

Could be like lasagnegate all over again
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10804881/2006-remembered-The-food-poisoning-bug-that-cost-Tottenham-Hotspur-their-Champions-League-dream.html
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Poor old Stoke, they couldn't afford an orange ball in the snow. I've got a Frido somewhere.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

You can get 40/1 on a highly pumped up Russia winning the next world cup.

England come in at a toxic 17/1.

There is something seriously wrong with these bookies.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Stuart Broad. Four hundred test wickets. A proud day.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Nobody in either New Zealand or Britain understands what is meant by kilometers-per-hour. Why, for goodness sakes, can't they express bowling speed in feet per second?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A remarkably encouraging display by England (football branch). Southgate's success at actually making his wards play properly as opposed to telling the media he intends to get them to play properly if only [fill in litany] has meant the resignation of more than one luminary from the AEL's Rules Committee. Though I still say I was wrong for the right reasons.

But a note of caution. They went to pieces after going one-up and the Dutch were forced to 'come at them'. This is the acid test and will presumably mean that we'll get through the group stages easily enough but stumble soonish thereafter. Yes, a familiar story, but this time it will be acceptable. Something like Barcelona vs Chelsea.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
A remarkably encouraging display by England (football branch). Southgate's success at actually making his wards play properly as opposed to telling the media he intends to get them to play properly if only [fill in litany] has meant the resignation of more than one luminary from the AEL's Rules Committee. Though I still say I was wrong for the right reasons.

But a note of caution. They went to pieces after going one-up and the Dutch were forced to 'come at them'. This is the acid test and will presumably mean that we'll get through the group stages easily enough but stumble soonish thereafter. Yes, a familiar story, but this time it will be acceptable. Something like Barcelona vs Chelsea.

They eased off pressing. Good to see Stirling using his brain for a change. Crosses hit and miss. A mediocre Dutch side, it has to be said.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

They eased off pressing.

You're an idiot.

Good to see Stirling using his brain for a change.

Yes, another example of me being wrong. That's twice in thirty years.

Crosses hit and miss.

All crosses are a non-paying proposition, especially when playing without a centre forward. Even against mediocre teams.

A mediocre Dutch side, it has to be said.

You're an idiot.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not necessarily wrong, just an idiot. How many times do I have to remind posters they are allowed to say anything they like as long as everybody else in the saloon bar is not saying it as well? If you train yourself in this simple self-denying ordinance you will find you will begin to a) cease holding saloon bar opinions and/or b) express saloon bar opinions (which may very well be true) with a twist.

So, here goes. England did not 'press' at any time in the game. They played ‘high up the park’ which is a very different thing.

more later .
Mick Harper
Site Admin

'Pressing' means putting four, five, even six players in the opposition third of the pitch and its chief objective is to force the defending side to hoof it up the park (usually giving up possession) rather than playing it out from the back (retaining possession). It is a difficult, dangerous, exhausting and effective strategy. No English side except in extremis (one down, two minutes to go) adopts it save Manchester City and they do so only some of the time.

What England did was a hybrid model. Orthodox strategy is to have a single player (normally the striker i.e. the least effective defensive-minded player) sort of harrying the back four by scurrying around following the ball. This always looks forlorn but actually prevents one of them simply advancing with the ball to the halfway line. If the back four dilly-dally he may be joined by one/two/increasing numbers but that’s just normal midfield competition albeit, from the defenders’ point of view, in the wrong part of the pitch.

The important phrase/phase is ‘Henderson was able to turn with the ball’ since the critical moment is when the defence hands the ball over to the midfield, where and in what circumstances. This is not possible if the ball is hoofed up the park but is all too possible if it's only a question of four Ajax-infused defenders having to 'play through' Marcus Rashford.

more later
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 61 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in