MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Literary News

This years's Nobel Prize for Literature has been announced. We used to share a girlfriend! If only there was a Nobel Prize for Failed Relationships.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

He'd win that one too.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Only kidding. I'm not bitter. It only remains to say...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Hatty tells me her local Lit Soc once had a talk on Ishiguro and she sat next to someone who played mah jong with him at university. This happens every time a British Nobel prize winner is announced. The oh-I've-gotta-connection brigade come piling out of the woodwork. Which reminds me, my ex-girlfriend has just rung. Apparently she only met 'Ish' a couple of times at charity something or others. So much for all her big talk at the time.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Hearing a clip from a radio interview with Salman Rushdie I realise how carefully both writers use language and their English is perfectly e-nunc-i-ated. But Ishiguro can talk interestingly. Most authors should be read and not heard.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There's no need to be so personal.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Professional Tips for Amateur Cooks

Couple of discoveries this week (apologies if ingredients not available outside London). If you sprinkle parmesan on cheese on toast it caramelises before either the bread is burnt or your patience gives out. Pork mince--everything you want from beef mince but not quite so good.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Muslim Vikings?

Why did Vikings have 'Allah' embroidered into funeral clothes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41567391

I was a little surprised to see something like this in the mainstream press. Is Fomenko becoming more acceptable? ..or are previously ignored artefacts such as this now seeing the light of day as it suits the liberal elite's agenda of mass migration from the Mid. East to places like Sweden?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

An excellent point. The Swedes have form -- promoting 'Gothic' civilisation, in the days when Gothenburg was mainly Swedish.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

N R Scott wrote:
...it suits the liberal elite's agenda of mass migration from the Mid. East to places like Sweden?

BINGO
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Wiley would like to issue an apology. I was drunk at the time. I cant actually remember what happened. I might have been sexually confused in my youth, unable to come out due to the repressive culture prevalent at the time. I have supported a number of progressive causes over the years and I am now happily living with a long term partner. Jesu, I recognise I need help, so have checked myself into a clinic... what more do you bastards want?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Tell your partner to go LGBT for when you come out.
Ishmael

Astonishing Article.
An infant who lived at the end of the last ice age in present day Alaska belonged to a previously unknown group of ancient humans most closely related to modern day white Europeans.
-- New DNA Analysis Reveals Original Native Americans Were White
Ishmael

Scandanavia is on the opposite side of the pole.

My guess: These people were all part of single racial type that inhabited the teritory now sunk beneath the Arctic Ocean when the area was above water, not at the pole, and mostly ice-free.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

I have some theories about all this - partly inspired by your work regarding the big blank space on the maps of North America in the north-west ..however, it's also partly inspired by conspiracies about NASA and space fakery, so I don't think it would get much traction here.

To give an abridged version though. I think the maps might actually be wrong. I think it's possible that Europeans overestimated the amount of land (or space on the map) in this region, and that areas were possibly accidentally mapped (and claimed) twice. Think duplicate histories, but on maps.

It sounds crazy, and it's obviously very far-fetched, but it would explain why that area of the globe is so restricted. Why don't they just build a bridge from Alaska to Russia and let people cross? People will say "Oh, the Cold War" - but any American can hop on a plane and go to Moscow.

When did people first actually measure the length of Russia? And I mean properly map it. I bet they just estimated the size of the Earth and then made an estimated guess - what if they were out by even just a small amount?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 26 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in