MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The dolphinitive history of the world (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Once a dolphin helped Poseidon locate the mermaid Amphitrite

So if Taras (Dolphin) is son of Poseidon

Is that why the Dauphin son of King?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dauphin_of_France#/media/File:Arms_of_the_Dauphin_of_France.svg
Wile E. Coyote

I get the feeling that the ancients in this case haven't got the modern (aren't dolphins cute) view. More like Dolphin is prince of the oceans. Perfectly crafted sea vessel.
admin
Librarian

The name of the thread has been changed to The Porpoise of History (to avoid confusion with the Crying Wolf thread in the Life Sciences section).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Great pun. Was it one of mine?
Wile E. Coyote

The Dolphinitive history of the world.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Not bad but drop the capital D. Amateurs always make the mistake of adding unnecessary exclamation marks! Admin will change it again if they (even I don't know who they are) think yours is better than mine.
aurelius

Detail from the cupid on a dolphin mosaic uncovered at Fishbourne, West Sussex.

The motif of the cupid on a dolphin, set in the centre of this mosaic, is visually the most prominent piece of the floor, and in antiquity cupids were often used symbolically to represent humans and the story goes as follows:-
The boy was carried across the Bay of Naples, on the back of the dolphin, twice a day so the boy could get to and from school. One day the boy fell ill and died. The dolphin, finding the boy dead on the beach, lay down next to him and also died.

Apparent mistakes in the symetry of the larger mosaic - not noticed, ignored or accepted by the villa owner, have led to three potential readings of the design, explored here:

http://read-mosaics.blogspot.co.uk/p/boy-cupid-on-dolphin.html
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in