MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hill Forts (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank h

The Iron Age Hill forts seemingly have contemporary close neighbours in the don/dun/down villages and farms of mainly England. Similarly the Gaelic duns of Scotland and Ireland. While in Wales they're typically dinas. Also in England the 'worth' villages are pretty close.

Thus speculating on this puzzle, perhaps this apparent proximity suggests an acceptable relationship, whereby maybe the celtic Hill fort pastoral societies used these people, (let's call them the British i.e. proto English and Scots of the AS Chronicle), work the lowlands as arable farmers to provide supplies, without doing the back breaking work themselves, whose subsequent higher birth rate eventually totally absorbed the celts in England and Ireland, partially in Wales, and the Picts of Scotland. The later Roman occupation thirst for agricultural products perhaps recruited other immigrants as well.

Maybe a process much like today's Europe uses immigrants to do the manual and low paid jobs.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Hatty wrote:
Jesus, rising from the ashes after three days

As an Egyptian Sun God, three days would be symbolic of the intercalendal time between the death of one solar cycle and the birth of a new cycle. The Sun of God reborn.

Like the time of no-time , the three days of Samhuinn in the Celtic calendar.
frank h

frank h wrote:
The Iron Age Hill forts and contemporary close proto 'English' neighbours.

Maybe the iron tipped ard, which enabled cultivation of heavier soils and introduced into Britain around 500BC, provided the technology to farm underexploited land.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12997877

Maybe your farming types shared round the single plough they have ever found, between the Romans leaving and the tenth century.

Maybe your folks just liked to make life difficult...
frank h

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12997877

the single plough they have ever found, between the Romans leaving and the tenth century.

The plough with mouldboard is a later development of the simple ard. The latter made of wood, iron tips have been found.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Let's not forget that bronze makes just as good ploughares as iron.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Mettle Hill, north/north-east of Royston, overlooks the intersection of Icknield Way and Ermine Street. Wiki says it used to be called Motlowehyll suggesting it was some kind of meeting place (and, by extension, man-made). Archaeologists surmise the Romans hereabouts modified and metalled the Icknield Way route and they've found a number of prehistoric trackways or hollow-ways running east-west overlaid by a causeway.

It was clearly a well-travelled route where ruts had been repaired over many years and appropriately enough Mettle Hill was a travellers' site until the people were evicted in 2012.. Many of the surrounding barrows have been dated to the Bronze Age and assumed to have a funeral or ritual purpose by archaeologists rather than slag-heaps.

Further to the north-east though are far more imposing obstacles such as Fleam Dyke, Brent Ditch, Devil's (or St Edmund's) Dyke and so on. It seems likely these east-west ditches at such a busy cross-roads served the same purpose,
frank h

Mick Harper wrote:
Let's not forget that bronze makes just as good ploughares as iron.

The Archaeology of the Roman Economy by Kevin Greene

p75 diagram is worth a look on Britain's supposed agriculture prior to the Romans.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wordpress papers now consolidated into Pre-Dark Age Britain and Roman Empire Settlements.

https://fchknols.wordpress.com/2016/04/30/dark-age-britain-and-roman-empire-settlements/

Figures updated with more data and 'street' places juxtaposed against known Roman roads added.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I recently attended, with my better half, an exhibition on castles through the ages. Keen to show off, (who isn't?) I was happily lecturing on about hillforts.....

My wife was visibly impressed, in fact so impressed she started asking incredibly awkward ie simple questions... about the origin of the so called motte and bailey and asking me to identify typical elements in each picture. This proved surprisingly difficult, much to her amusement..

A quick google reveals what a wally I have been.

That will teach me.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89

Jump to:  
Page 89 of 89

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in