MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I am at a loss to understand why anyone would doubt the outcome of a boxing match between the world's best boxer and someone who has never boxed before. I've never boxed but I'm prepared to try it out for two hundred million dollars.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Conor has boxed before......

Sort of.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgnuzdAEtJA
Wile E. Coyote

This is what I already knew.

A real hunter can quickly adapt to hunting anything.

Can he farm?

NO he is a hunter.....it's a different skillset.

The Notorious wrote:
Precision beats power....timing beats speed

That..... is what I learnt.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So PSG sign Neymar for 200 mill and everyone gets on their case by pointing out they haven't got a prayer getting that back given French football finances, so they'll be shafted by Fair Play rules. Non, dit PSG, nous will sell more shirts. What are they, Christian Dior? But anyway PSG next sign Mbappe for 150 mill. More shirts? No, they explain, they'll actually hand the money over next year, so that's all right then. I've got a better idea. Why don't they backdate the cheque to last year when they had plenty in the bank?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Two odd Spurs statistics for all you yids out there.
1. Spurs did not win any of Gareth Bale's first eighteen matches
2. Spurs have not won any of their first ten competitive games at Wembley (they won a Euro-group game but had already been knocked out).
The statistics go like this
1. In absolute terms, since a win is to be expected at least half the time, this outcome is 'one in a million' for both sequences
2. In Bayesian terms neither is significant since such oddities happen, infrequently but routinely, and we have merely 'picked on' Spurs.
3. Two oddities happening to the same team sequentially may or may not be significant. Ten patient deaths are certain to cluster on an individual nurse's watch sooner or later but when another cluster happens to the same nurse when she moves to another hospital means it is time to declare Spurs inveterately flaky and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as flake-free Arsenal.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Speaking of Arsenal, who are winners and loser in Oxlade-Chamberlain's transfer to Chelsea? The 'Ox' (short for silly-bollox) believes he will a) become a better player and b) make more money. The second can be dismissed out of hand since, whatever he is worth, it is certainly better it all goes to him when he is out of contract next year, rather than it all going to Arsenal when still under contract. Sigh, when will these players and their agents ever learn?

But, OK, he wants to grow as a player and it has to be now what with the World Cup next year and everything. The trouble is O-C, like his ex-colleagues Walcott and Sanchez, suffers from Roy of the Rovers syndrome, the belief that they ought to be playing in the middle rather on the flanks. This arises from a) Arsenal's peculiarly fluid style of play and b) their refusal to pay the realistic prices required for a No 9 or a No 10 which nobody could aspire to replace. Needless to say, all three will eventually realise that they never will in any top team.

Ironically, Oxlade-Chamberlain really did seem to have found his natural position as wide man in front of a back three but we shall see whether these talents will ever be employed at Chelsea in the few matches he will be selected for when the present Chelsea incumbents need a break. Which brings us to England.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One weeps.

Apparently Sanchez is worth sixty million in transfer money for a season's work. Even PSG aren't paying that much for Neymar. In fact they are paying something like 200 million divided by four less his resale value (say ten to twenty mill for a season’s work).
Apparently Wenger is sending out a signal by refusing to sell Sanchez. No, he’s not, he’s just offered to sell him to Man City.
Apparently Lemar is an obvious replacement. Well he wasn't a month ago when Arsenal pulled out of Lemar talks.
Apparently Lemar is worth ninety million. No he isn't, Liverpool ran a mile when offered him on a platter for that price.
Apparently you have to keep Sanchez if you don’t have Lemar. No you don’t, both are all-purpose flank.forwards like every other flank forward which Arsenal and everyone else has in abundance.
Apparently there were logistical difficulties signing Lemar. Well only if you count having a medical at half time during France’s most important world cup qualifier as a logistical difficulty.

And don't get me started on Oxlade-Chamberlain.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thank God Jack Wilshire has been kept out of the clutches of Birmingham City. The season might yet be saved. Even though replacing Wenger will be his first job in management.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Can someone explain this Back Three business to me? I was brought up on a Back Four, consisting of two central defenders and two full backs. A back three is normally composed of three people, two central defenders and someone who last week, when we were playing a back four, was called a full back but is now called a central defender. But anyway, now with three at the back, there is an extra man in midfield., two of whom are 'wing-backs'. But I cannot help noticing one of these wing backs is always someone who last week we were calling a full back. In fact the team sheet personnel hasn't changed from when we had two central defenders and two full backs though in the programme two of them have had their job descriptions altered..

Now ever since Terry Cooper, British full backs have been required to be auxiliary attackers who defend when necessary. The two wing-backs in the Back Three system are expected to be attackers who defend when necessary. So what, pray, has changed exactly? Apart from having a de facto Back Five.
Wile E. Coyote

1870 1-2-7
1880 2-3-5
1950 4-2-4
1960 4-3-3
1960 4-4-2
2014 5-3-2

2070 7-2-1
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I know what you mean but even the 2-3-5 Christmas Tree distinguished between the centre half and the two wing halves. With ball-playing central descenders it is surely more likely to be

2020 1-8-1
aurelius

So what, pray, has changed exactly?

Nothing, it's just a ploy to confuse the opposition.

In Subbuteo my school mate ended up playing 2-0-8 in no time, losing all interest in defense after ten minutes. I was more of a 4-3-3 man myself.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I had a 4-4-2 model train.
Wile E. Coyote

I will just enter the gladiators ring and get mauled....

Sporting Chronos= Romantic attack, Heroic age, Amateur>> Defence age, early Professionalism, rigid systems >>>Scientific Age, Diet, Flexibility, Timing, Drugs (err) Sports medicine >>>>Robots, AI managers,Gaming.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It is time to sum up the lessons from the first week of European football. The central puzzle is how to record three Euro-matches simultaneously now that Man U have qualified through the Fairs Cup plus your normal must-see programmes. Here’s how
1. Manually record the three matches 7.45 to ten o’clock. Missing the build-up and the post-mortem can be borne.if you put your minds to it.
2. Manually record Channel 4 News for 7 – 7.45. You’ll only miss some blowhard selling his latest book. Top authors don’t sell books.
3. Record Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away on Channel 5+1 for ten o’clock.

Next, how to watch one game and avoid the BT dickhead telling you what the scores are in the other two matches. A hand on the remote ready for the pregnant phrase, “And news from the Etihad is...” usually does the trick but watch out for Jermaine Jenas still maundering on about it several minutes later. The problem will sort itself in six weeks when Spurs and Liverpool go out.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 55 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in