MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Petroglyphs discovered on Hawaiian Beach.

I note that these glyphs match very well with those often cited by Electric Universe proponents. The similar images they point to are meant to represent plasma discharges in space that were once visible from Earth.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Mick vs The Taxi-Drivers Round Six

I'm not boring you, am I?
Sorry, did a Brighton-wait-and-return last night. Didn't get much sleep.
Ah ... Brighton. Used to live there. Sally Thomsett. was a good friend of mine.
Not familiar with the name.
Railway Children.
Oh right. Martin Clunes fills up at the garage I use. We often have a natter. Tall chap.
Bjork uses my Tesco in the Portobello Road.
Kate Humble's one of my regulars.
Not familiar with the name.
Ishmael

Bjork uses your Tesco??

Such a crush i have.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Bjork uses M J Harper's Tesco.
Ishmael

Australia, DESTROYED CONTINENT by SUPERCIVILIZATION 250 Million years ago?

I would not have posted this video were it not for the final few frames. Stay tuned for the mysterious "mechanism" in the Russian Coal mine.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Some interesting comments below. One said 'plate tectonics is bunk!'. Others mention that Australia used to be an inland sea, like the Sahara. Another points out that Sahara sand storms fertilise South American forests.

Salt deposits aren't mentioned though the Sahara is rimmed with the stuff. The Atlas mountains in the north-west are famous for their salt mines, engendering the Trans-Saharan 'salt routes' and to the east is the Dead Sea, one of the most concentrated areas of salt, and to the north is the salty Mediterranean. Wonder what happened to salt residue in the south.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I recently acquired my first answerphone. For those of you wanting to be, as it were, second adopters, here are a few tips.

1. Steer clear of BT. answerphones. The equipment itself seems admirable but how to use it is far from straightforward. Everything depends on reading instructions in a panel on the handset. BT have elected to emboss the plastic cover of the panel with their logo to ensure you cannot read anything in the panel. No, you cannot prise off the cover for love or money and without jeopardising the warranty.

2. Do not think for one moment that the instructions will tell you how to leave a message, the one thing uniquely required of an answerphone. Look for it among the twenty-three pages devoted to blocking nuisance calls.

3. Do not go to the BT product help website. In order to keep the lineage down to single spacing, a vital consideration, all the symbols telling you what to press on the handset are too small to identify.

4. Acquire a helpmeet who is prepared to spend a whole Sunday ringing your number and testing all your necessarily random settings until success is finally achieved. Not necessarily the first Sunday.

5. Reflect on the fact that for the first fifty years of their existence, BT was a nationalised industry organised solely at the behest of and for the benefit of engineers (very good engineers as a matter of fact) and whose monopoly was finally broken when the British people pointed out that phones were for people too.
Ishmael

Chariot wheel discovered in Russian coal mine subsequently destroyed?

300 Million Year Old "Chariot Wheel" Found Deep In Mine?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Margate's tidal swimming pool is a Listed Building (Grade II).

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION

Walpole Bay Tidal Pool, one of two tidal pools designed by Margate's borough engineer in 1937, constructed in concrete blocks reinforced by reused iron tram rails, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Structural engineering interest: an ambitious project because of its scale, the weight of each concrete block, and that work needing to be carried out day and night because of the tides; * Scale and design: impressive in scale and shape, occupying 4 acres and three sides of a rectangle, the sides 450 feet long diminishing towards the seaward end which was 300 feet long; * Social historical interest: provided an improvement to sea bathing at the period of the greatest popularity of the English seaside; * Degree of intactness: intact apart from the loss of the two diving boards which do not often survive; * Group value: situated quite near the remains of the 1824-6 Clifton Baths (Grade II), an 1935 lift and the other 1937 tidal pool.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1421296

Why would they need TWO pools? The official explanation is to do with the 'considerable tidal range'

Excellent provision has been made by the Margate Corporation in furnishing large sea-bath­ing pavilions and ranges of dressing boxes, but it has been found by experience that the receipts from these undertakings were very much less on days when low tide was about mid-day, and the water’s edge, therefore, a considerable distance from the bathing stations, and in order to facilitate bathing for large numbers of people at all states of the tide it was decided that two pools should he constructed at the most popular parts of the beach, tine at Marine Terrace in the centre of the town, and the other at Walpole Bay at the east end of Cliftonville.

The larger Walpole Bay beach has an(other) unusual feature

It is an interesting feature that in the case of Walpole Bay pool, there are copious pure fresh water springs arising from the beach within the confines of the walls and the pool is continuously overflowing by the supply of fresh clean water from the floor of the pool.

http://www.bathsandwashhouses.co.uk/archive/your-local-buildings/margate/marine-terrace-pool-and-walpole-bay-bathing-pool/

Despite the twice-daily changeover of seawater, "Swimmers warned of poor water quality at Walpole Bay, Thanet" in 2016.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This all very valuable. Margate is one of three presumed Megalithic gateways along with Ramsgate and Sandgate.(plus Sangatte on the other side). Margate is also Megalithically significant in two other ways besides--being the south-eastern terra extremis of Britain, and being situated on the Stonehenge to Goseck line. This presumptively makes Margate the Megalithic capital of the whole area bordering the southern North Sea and Eastern Channel.

It must have had tidal pool(s).
Ishmael

Did China Hack the Seventh Fleet?

Re: Mick's remarks about U.S. airports come to mind.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

On the other hand is it not foolish for the Chinese to demonstrate this vulnerability for something relatively unimportant and, maybe, not be able to do it when it is important because of US countermeasures? On the other other hand, intelligence agencies use this argument constantly to keep their (alleged) discoveries obscure. On the third hand, everyone now uses 'it's a hack' to explain anything that goes wrong.
Ishmael

It's an extremely odd pattern of rare events.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Watching Victoria I could not help thinking that a superfluity of royal children is a bad thing. One of them was Jack the Ripper apparently. An heir and a spare is quite sufficient, especially as a girlie is thought acceptable in these progressive times. So put a sock on it, William.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This week's drama recommendation from the Guardian Guide

Heisenberg --The Uncertainty Principle)

It won't have anything to do with physics but it is anxious to signal it is suitable for highbrow audiences

Tony and Olivier award-winning playwright Simon Stephens’s two-hander -- which played on Broadway last year –

No, it wasn't this play that won any awards

explores the idea of chance after two strangers meet amid the bustle of a crowded London train station, their lives changed for ever.

Brief Encounter meets Sliding Doors

Starring Anne-Marie Duff and Kenneth Cranham and featuring the creative team behind The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

'Creative team' usually means the set designer, otherwise the director would be named. How much creativity is required for a two-hander that has already played Broadway?

the play opens at Wyndham’s theatre, WC2, on 3 October and runs until 6 January.

When they announce a closing date before they've opened they're worried people. Avoid.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 25 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in