MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Existence: does it even? (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nifegun

I decided to take this a step further. Stop me if I'm just being silly. But I just read through some of Hawkings statements about black holes. It seems generally accepted that black holes are capable of:

Reaching nearly infinite density at their core (a point of singularity)
Having extremely high gravity
Pulling in nearly everything
Evaporating, emitting "hawking radiation"

So if a black hole can pull in all things, and still evaporate into a type of radiation that is very small, it seems to me we already have an example of something becoming nothing. Though my modification to this would be that this black hole core, like the beginning of the universe, is not really an infinitely small singularity. But, is actually a point of nothing. Perhaps black holes are when things and anti-things are becoming nothing.
aurelius

Ishmael wrote:
Are the laws of mathematics merely an invention of humans or do these laws express aspects of reality perceptible to rational humans despite being invisible to sea slugs?

The language of mathematics is merely an invention of humans, but I suggest the laws are aspects of reality perceptible to - not just humans, but other more intelligent forms of life (except possibly sea slugs).

Our dog can certainly count to three, at least.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

We have a general rule against philosophy in Applied Epistemology but I thought this might be a good place to stick up some thoughts I've had considering the meaning of life---from an AE perspective.

What is the one thing we know about the meaning of life?

The one thing we know about the meaning of life is that we do not know its meaning.

Aha! Then this must be the thing most essential to life having meaning!

Assuming life has meaning, the single knowable aspect of life's meaning is that its meaning depends on its meaning being obscured.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I don't normally commend ideas I have not thought up myself so I can only assume this is one that I have forgotten.
aurelius

Ishmael wrote:

Assuming life has meaning, the single knowable aspect of life's meaning is that its meaning depends on its meaning being obscured.

Assuming life has no meaning your argument may still apply, i.e. the single knowable aspect of its lack of meaning depends on its lack of meaning being obscured.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I don't think he's saying that. It seems analogous to the pursuit of happiness. You can only achieve it indirectly by pursuing something else.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in