MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Principles of Applied Epistemology (APPLIED EPISTEMOLOGY)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
It is the one characteristic identified by Mick long ago:
Conservatism is rural; liberalism is urban.

I am always pleased to have come up with something my sternest taskmaster approves of though I do not in fact recognise this statement. (Perhaps, Ishmael, you might track down a reference?) In The Megalithic Empire I point out that Christianity is urban and Megalithia is rural. Though I am not sure how that equates with left/right.

Other characteristics change but this does not. For example, in Iran, the liberals believe many of the same things believed by the conservatives of the United States; in Russia; the conservatives believe many of the same things believed by liberals in the U.K.

I find this a bit baffling. I hesitate to say 'untrue'. And certainly doesn't seem to coincide with the urban/rural split of Ishmael's argument. All I can say is that Western media are forever interviewing urban liberal types in both Iran and Russia in a highly approving way while I sit watching, fuming because I know that neither Russians nor Iranians (en masse) have the slightest wish to go the Western Way. Putin has just beaten his nearest challenger by forty percentage points. Result: western telly films a few hundred Muscovite liberals moaning about it.

Western AE-ists hesitate to prescribe what's best for Russia or Iran.

It's true, it is a bit baffling, as long as one is stuck on a Left Wing -- Right Wing (LR) dimension. A sadly one dimensional model of political psychology, and still the only one used by a huge percentage of non-AEL mainstream media pundits and commentators.

The next available dimension is the Libertarian -- Authoritarian (LA) dimension. For the sake of a simplistic model let's suppose it crosses the LR dimension at right-angles like an X-Y axis (realities might vary).

It looks (to me) like the LA dimension is largely ignored or hardly mentioned in mainstream UK media. Perhaps because we've largely forgotten the periods in UK history when the LA dimension was really active and important, and most of the UK parties are sitting on a similar part of the LA spectrum i.e. somewhere blandly in the middle (M'Lady Boreades and Green Eco-Fascists excepted). But other countries like Russia and Iran have a much more recent and visceral memory of LA issues.

It's then just a matter of coincidence when & where a belief (or statement) on the LR dimension crosses the LA dimension. It will also be a matter of misunderstanding and miscommunication when we assume the belief (or statement) in LR-space actually means the same to the other person in LA-space.

There will probably be other available dimensions that could be added to the mix, to expand the understanding, but I hope my work here is done (on this topic).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

If someone can translate this into meta-English for me, please do.

http://contactform24.com/applied-epistemology.com/
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Jump to:  
Page 18 of 18

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in