MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pub Crawl (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Queen Mary is very close to the quay according to the map. Could it have been a Mary-of-the-Sea or Virgin Mary establishment? Clearly too overtly Catholic to be healthy. Not that Mary I is any more acceptable but Queen Mary is more ambiguous and ship-related (if you don't mention the portrait).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Yes, the marine connection might be important. From its dilapidation the pub could be coeval with either the Queen Mary liner or Queen Mary, wife of George V -- both nineteen-thirties -- and was originally named for it/her. But that would mean somebody more modern decided on the Mary I reference. There is a vogue for odd pub-names -- Slug & Lettuce -- but this doesn't seem to fit. Probably just pig ignorance on the part of the landlord -- and a sign of the waning of folk memory I suppose.

Of course wicked people are commemorated by pubs -- Dick Turpin, the Saracens Arms, even Richard III -- but the point about Mary was that she was both bad and boring.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

If I am correct, "MARI" was the old German/Anglo-Saxon way of writing the word "Queen;" "HENRI" being the way of writing the word, "King." If so, the Pub may be merely stating its name in two languages.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in