MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inventing History : forgery: a great British tradition (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Alastair Campbell's accounts of the success of Tony Blair as a Peace Envoy in the Middle East?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Marco Polo is an excellent example, marred only by his rarity as a visitor from the west -- which might make him a reasonable selection for Khan confidant. However, this is more likely to be a case of Polo himself making up the connection -- which would of course make his own Travels something of a forgery, but that is suspected anyway. But definitely well spotted.

I don't see where you're going with the Campbell case, Borrie. He was known by independent evidence to actually have been a confidant of Blair in real life. As his PR man Campbell's account of Blair's Peace Envoyship (not important enough in itself to warrant elaborate forgery in any case) can be assessed accurately by any competent historian.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

But as we are being meta-skeptical, the pattern is more suggestive of all three personas being literary creations---Aristotle, Josephus and Polo. And as only one of the sources mentions Jesus, the motive for the ruse cannot have been to validate scripture.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is surely too conspiratorial. What reason do you have for supposing the three cases are linked? My own assumption is that this is a technique. The connection with the ruler is simply a means of getting the reader to believe that the writer has access to high level knowledge. It is widely used by independent forgers for their individual purposes.

As AE-ists we can therefore reverse the process and expose the forgery by identifying the implausibility of the connection. We are doing something similar in the case of the British Dark Ages -- in this case the technique is that all early medieval manuscripts are presented as Saints Lives or Gospel Books but are in actuality something else entirely.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:

As AE-ists we can therefore reverse the process and expose the forgery by identifying the implausibility of the connection. We are doing something similar in the case of the British Dark Ages -- in this case the technique is that all early medieval manuscripts are presented as Saints Lives or Gospel Books but are in actuality something else entirely.

In fact this also applies to so called history and Heroic lives.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Some while ago somebody mentioned this work
http://www.themasonictrowel.com/ebooks/fm_freemasonry/Bernier_-_The_Great_Architects_of_Tiron.pdf

I filed it away for later perusal ie it played no part in my drafting of the British Dark Age paper currently being serialised on the Second Dark Age thread in the Revisionist Military History section. Now that I have read it certain things have been clarified. However first things first:

1. Could the person who first came across it 'fess up because I'd like to know how they found it.
2. Does anyone know anything about the author, Francine Bernier? All I can find out is that she is the author of a book about Masonry in Montreal.
3. It says it emanates from something called The Steps of Zion/Life Exploration Institute (ULT) AZ. Googling either of these produces nothing, which is distinctly odd.

Since none of you have the requisite attention span to read the whole thing I will put up the choicer bits from time to time.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Great Architects of Tiron begins thus

For years historians and Freemasons alike have tried to identify the origin of “the Craft”, the speculative art of modern Freemasonry. Most of them agree that it all began in Kilwinning, Scotland, sometime during the 12th century.

Some of you will remember an interesting dude (the name escapes me, can anyone help out?) who used to post on our previous site (whose name escapes me ... good God ... early stage something or other). His big thing was proving Kilwinning was the start of masonry. At the time (ten years ago?) we all thought this slightly crackpot but it seemed it was pretty mainstream all the time. Unless things have changed over the last ten years.

But the important point for my purposes is the date "twelfth century".
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

I'd not heard of her before Mick mentioned "The Great Architects of Tiron". But Francine Bernier is also the author of a book called "The Templars' Legacy in Montreal: The New Jerusalem".

Available on Amazon etc.

Designed in the 17th century as the New Jerusalem of the Christian world, the island of Montreal became the new headquarters of a group of mystics that wanted to live as the flawless Primitive Church of Jesus. But they could not do that in the Old World! This book reveals the links between Montreal and: John the Baptist as patron saint; Melchizedek, the first king-priest and a father figure to the Templars and the Essenes; Stella Maris, the Star of the Sea from Mount Carmel; the Phrygian goddess Cybele as the androgynous Mother of the Church; St. Blaise, the Armenian healer or 'Therapeut' - the patron saint of the stonemasons and a major figure to the Benedictine Order and the Templars; the presence of two Black Virgins, particularly one from Montaigu; an odd, Cabbalistic Tetragrammaton which does not spell YHVH; a Sulpician chapel which is based on the theme of the Temple of Solomon; an intriguing family coat of arms with twelve blue apples; and much more. After several journeys in Europe and Africa, Francine Bernier realised the history of her hometown contained a hidden dimension so far gone unnoticed and unrecorded.

Her unique, detailed, three-year long and on-site analysis uncovers the secret history behind the foundation of a city in the French New World. Its destiny was to become the refuge of the most virtuous men and women who expected the return of a divine king-priest; a story connected with the mystery of Rennes-le-Chateau, and the revival of a heterodox group whose marks, and those of the French masonic Compagnons, are still visible today, both in the old city and underneath.

I haven't found anything (yet) on The Steps of Zion/Life Exploration Institute (ULT) AZ.

As I know a couple of authors of Templar books, I will make enquiries and report back ASAP..
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

A.J. Morton was the person on the Quest Group posting on the Kilwenning origins of freemasonry. He was friends with Jaq White who may well be acquainted with Ms Bernier since they share the same research interests.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A little snipperoonie for you conspiracy buffs. The founder of the Tironians was Bernard of Tiron.

After three years, Bernard left to live a solitary life for another period of two to three years on the island of Chaussey, just off Saint-Mal,

As some of you know, both the Chaussy Islands and St Malo play an important part in the Maritime Michael Line (see my lecture on the subject given at Glastonbury). St Malo is actually St Marchutus

Born about the year 520 probably in Wales and baptized by St. Brendan. Machutus became his favourite disciple and was one of those specially selected by that holyman for his oft-described voyage. No doubt he may have remained some years in Llancarrven Abbey, when St. Brendan stayed there, and it was from there that St. Brendan and his disciple,St. Machutus, with numerous companions set forth for the discovery of the "Island of the Blest". He then put to sea on a second voyage and visited the Island of September, in the seawardfront of St. Malo, known as Cizembra, where he tarried for some time. It was on the occasion of his second voyage that he evangelized the Orkney Islands and the northern isles of Scotland

Now Brendan was the bloke who is supposed to have discovered America. (The Falkland Islands, Las Malvinas, is named after St Malo but I think that really is a coincidence.) So anyway I looked up St Marchutus and it turns out he has a church in New Brunswick, Canada
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nbtvglhg/st_machutus_anglican_arthurette.htm
and look who's the second name on the list of burials.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Some of you will remember an interesting dude (the name escapes me, can anyone help out?) who used to post on our previous site (whose name escapes me ... good God ... early stage something or other). His big thing was proving Kilwinning was the start of masonry. At the time (ten years ago?) we all thought this slightly crackpot but it seemed it was pretty mainstream all the time. Unless things have changed over the last ten years.

I remember him. About seven years ago I think. Maybe I'm wrong. maybe it was longer. I pissed him off at some point---completely unintentionally. He went away in a huff. Temperamental genius. Shame. Had he stuck with us, we might have teased a book out of him (we're finally teasing one out of me).

Can't remember his name though. All the material he posted is searchable via the old site database that one of us has. The old site was called The Quest Group, BTW---the name I still use to refer to the serious members of this site (some of whom seldom post, admittedly).

You might be interested in this old post from Ray.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Some while ago somebody mentioned this work [The Great Architects of Tiron.pdf]

A search for this title on our site turns up nothing.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

More from the The Great Architects of Tiron

the masons who built Kilwinning and many other great abbeys and churches in Scotland, Wales, France, Ireland and England were monks of a very special kind: they were reformed Benedictines of the “free church” of Brittany (Bretagne) and they practised the Celtic Rite.

Notice the exact geographic match with the Megalithics. Even more interesting is that this order of monks, apparently orthodox in every way, 'practised the Celtic Rite'. Now this is, on the face of things, absurd. In the first place the 'Celtic Rite' had, we have been assured, more or less completely fizzled out after the Synod of Whitby, hundreds of years before. Secondly, no order of monks would be permitted this degree of latitude for five minutes.

Anyone guess what's going on?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

By the way, my thanks are due to Boreades for providing me with a Word version of the Great Architects. And no thanks to Ishmael who didn't and is therefore banished to New Brunswick and then Montreal to conduct further research.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

It is puzzling that we haven't come across these Tironensians before. Turns out they are most often referred to rather vaguely as Celtic, sometimes 'Benedictine monks'.

They have a habit of appearing in Megalithically important locations, e.g. Llantwit Major, which is believed to have been a major centre of learning. (Llantwit Major came up elsewhere as one of John Michell's proposed 'Celtic Choirs') not unreasonably since it's on the only main road through South Wales.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Jump to:  
Page 46 of 181

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in