MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Homeopathy (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

You bore me.
GrouchoMarxthespot

Unobserved reality must exceed observed reality, (whether of the scientific, or individual subjective, variety.)

Surely then homeopathic cures must already be taking place, and have been doing so long before anyone coined the term?
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

David Tredinnick, who is a member of both the UK's Health Select Committee and the Science and Technology Select Committee, has recently said that astrology and homeopathy could have a "role to play in healthcare" and that employing prophecy in 21st century medicine could relieve "pressure" on doctors". In an interview with the Astrological Journal, the MP for Bosworth in Leicestershire said: "I do believe that astrology and complementary medicine would help take the huge pressure off doctors."

He says that "Opposition to astrology based on superstition, ignorance and prejudice".

That's all right then. I'll just check my horoscope so I know when's the best time for me to ask the Nurse Practitioner to mend my broken leg with homeopathy.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I agree with the dude. It is immaterial if these things are true, if people believe them to be true and get well because of these beliefs (and the evidence is overwhelming that they do) then it would indeed "help take the huge pressure off doctors".

Yes, the MP is probably an imbecile but that doesn't make him wrong.
Boreades

If you want the scientific basis for astrology, I'll dig out my notes on long-distance gravitational and electromagnetic field effects.
Boreades

GrouchoMarxthespot wrote:
Unobserved reality must exceed observed reality, (whether of the scientific, or individual subjective, variety.)

Surely then homeopathic cures must already be taking place, and have been doing so long before anyone coined the term?

That's quite likely. Where there are positive results from "homeopathic cures", this could just as likely be a placebo effect. In fact, all homeopathic cures could be considered to be the same as placebo cures.

It's perfectly true that the belief that you could get better can be just as effective as any external medicine. If not more powerful. Even in cancer cases which go into "spontaneous remission" and the cancer disappears.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I don't believe it.

The Homeopathic cure I took for jaw tension worked immediately, all three times I tried it. And I had zero faith in its capacity to work that first time I did so with my wife's encouragement.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Ishmael wrote:
with my wife's encouragement.

Is this the 'cure'?
Alfred Wegener

In: Newcastle upon Tyne

I'm afraid that homeopathy is bunk.
The placebo and nocebo effects are certainly real and work even on the most rational of us.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Got that everybody? You can all drift off now to other things. Which reminds me, Fred, most of us here think Plate Tectonics is roughly on a par with homeopathy. But welcome aboard anyway. We are in urgent need of fresh blood to feed on.
Alfred Wegener

Thanks Mick, much appreciated and glad to be of help.

I can thoroughly recommend the Wegener biography written by Mott Greene. Continental drift in those days, before plate tectonics was described to explain the physical phenomenon.
Alfred Wegener

Seems I have recommended it twice - apologies...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We have the edit button for such snafus. 'Continental drift' is never used these days presumably because of its association with what was for so many years a signal of crackpottery. We (not the royal we, but just to show it's not one crackpot, though plenty here are in fact PT-ists, may they burn in hell) do not recognise the existence of continents, never mind drifting continents.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in