MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Remember, Remember, the Fifth of November (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorn

I looked it up.

Bone meal was used as a flux, and even to refine metals.

One trick if your silver has a lot of base metals in it is to melt it with lead.
This is the best way to do electrical contacts that are silver on a tungsten sponge because you can not melt the silver off the tungsten with a torch but the lead will mix with the silver and the tungsten will float on top.

To remove the lead from the silver you use bone meal

dampen the bone meal and put it in a old tuna can then take a spoon and make a bowl indention in the bone meal and let dry then bake in a oven at 130ºF for 2 hours to really dry it out

Place your lead silver mix on in the bone meal bowl and melt till red hot and watch the button shrink.
when it quits shrinking and you see a little flash (wink) from the button the lead has been absorbed by the bone meal and the silver is left.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread810904/pg3

I don't know if you know, but when our ancestors were making iron, they did not melt the iron, they melted everything but the iron, so only the iron was left. For this they used various fluxes, that is salts that lowers the melting point of everything but the iron.
Jorn

It seems that the knowledge is lost, that you need something that eats the dead animals and insects in a well, for the water to stay disease free.

Wikipedia recommends:

The well should be cleaned with 1% chlorine solution after construction and periodically every 6 months.

How hard is it to understand that if you put a fish in the well, it will eat the food the harmful bacteria and protozoa needs to live? It might even eat the larger parasites for food.

I bet somebody who knew Latin or Greek put an end to this tradition as well in many places of the world. How many people have died from poisonous wells because having a fish in the well was "unsanitary"?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Ishmael wrote:
Wile E. Coyote wrote:
...worms, Orme,...Erme and Hermes

Wait a second.

Herm is a form of Worm??

I reckon so.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Jorn wrote:
If you google burnt bone fertilizer, you will get an idea.

On second thought, I don't think the "bon" in "bonfire" has anything to do with bones. I think this is just a word meaning "great" or "good." The word survives in French today but not so much in English. It's there in "bonbon" (candy) or in "bonnie love" (my great love).

A bonfire is just a really awesome fire!
Jorn

Ishmael wrote:

On second thought, I don't think the "bon" in "bonfire" has anything to do with bones. I think this is just a word meaning "great" or "good." The word survives in French today but not so much in English. It's there in "bonbon" (candy) or in "bonnie love" (my great love).

A bonfire is just a really awesome fire!

It doesn't really matter, as they had bone fires in order to create bone meal. It is easy to find out if the British did this as well, as you only have to look if middens contained bones before the vikings arrived.

IIRC it was early in the iron age that bones disappear from middens in Scandinavia.
Ishmael

Ishmael wrote:
... one of our principal culprits in the invention of history, I suspect: none other than Thomas Jefferson.

With regard to whether or not the Magna Carta was a forgery (of the American Revolutionaries)...

Shakespeare omitted from his 'King John' the signing of the Magna Charta--by far the most important event in John's reign.
-- The Gandhi Nobody Knows, Richard Grenier

Maybe Shakespeare never heard of the Magna Carta. Not if it wasn't history in his day.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Shakespeare omitted from his 'King John' the signing of the Magna Charta--by far the most important event in John's reign.

Not really. These kinds of general do's-and-dont's were fairly common in High Medieval Europe. It became seen-to-be-important in hindsight later on for various reasons.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I am now in a position to set out the entire Gunpowder Plot story. (Though I admit it is a story.)

The Political Situation
1. England needs to seamlessly switch from the English Protestant Tudor dynasty to the Scottish (not-overly-Protestant) Stuart dynasty.
2. England needs to end the Spanish war.
3. English policy is in the hands of Robert Cecil.
4. Spain nominates Father John Gerrard, the leader of the Catholic faction in England, to handle their end of the negotiations.

Confidence Building Measures
1. Gerrard is allowed to escape from the Tower, where he is incarcerated, to go and live with Liza Vaux, a rich Catholic widow living in the midlands. (Vaux is pronounced Vorks as in Vauxhall.)
2. Sir Walter Raleigh, English hero but Spanish villain, is incarcerated in the Tower in his stead.
3. Cecil insists that the Catholic faction in England must be de-fanged if the Spanish Alliance is to go ahead.
4. Spain agrees.

The Plot Unfolds
1. Gerrard organises the Gunpowder Plot under Cecil's general tutelage. To make sure it doesn't turn into a real plot, Cecil insists a Vaux be involved in it. That is Guy Vaux. The biggest possible spectacular is set in train without, as it were, being fired.
2. This leads to the 'justified' rounding up and killing of all the leading Catholic malcontents -- whether they were involved in the Plot or not -- and they are killed 'while trying to escape' or by other means that doesn't involve a public trial.
3. Apart from some minor characters -- Thomas Winter, Ambrose Rookwood and Robert Keyes -- who are publicly tried, spill the beans about what they regard is a real plot -- and are executed by the usual grisly means of hanging, drawing and quartering.
4. And lastly Guy Fawkes who, somewhat mysteriously, is allowed to break his neck jumping off the steps of the scaffold.
5. But not Father Gerrard, public enemy number one, who continues his charmed life 'on the run'.
6. Nor Liza Vaux who, despite being found guilty of harbouring a Catholic priest (at the very least), is allowed to return home safe and sound.

The Results
1. The Stuart dynasty is safely ensconced.
2. Robert Cecil is safely ensconced as Chief Minister to James I.
3. Spain sends over an official delegation to make peace.
4. Father Gerrard departs with the Spanish delegation when they return to Spain.
Ishmael

That is damn Brilliant.

Now. Did they write/alter the Biblical text to convince Catholics that all of it have been fore-ordained?

Why the esoteric elements? Like Guy Faux's name meaning double-fake? And his father being Dionysus, the mythical father of the Satyr, the relationship leading to our discovery of the apparent biblical prophesy of the gunpowder plot, within the King James Bible?

(Of course....I'm also ignoring for the moment that I don't believe there ever was a James I of England.)

I'd also like to point out that it was my wife who originally suggested that the brains behind the entire plot was none-other than the King Himself.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Not really. These kinds of general do's-and-dont's were fairly common in High Medieval Europe. It became seen-to-be-important in hindsight later on for various reasons.

I think, in this case, you are too quickly dismissing a potential line of evidence. Surely the next question should be; when is the earliest, reliable reference to the Magna Carta? Are there any other places it might have but didn't get a mention?

And one more thing: Shakespeare's view of Magna Carta was, if nothing else, certainly hindsight.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
I am now in a position to set out the entire Gunpowder Plot story. (Though I admit it is a story.)

Nicely done, Harpo. Full marxs. ;-)

For a sequel, may I suggest The Further Adventures of Robert Cecil?

Including his part in creating and running the very first (and original) "007" secret agent (John Dee)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Jump to:  
Page 19 of 19

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in