MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Megalithic Astronomy (Astrophysics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

All right, Chad, you haven't cracked it but you can now reveal your working.

Haven't got a globe (so results very much guestimates), but seem to remember you saying Giza was on the point of intersection... blah... most dry land blah... and that looked a good fit for Part 2 (as far as I could tell).

Giza > most famous pyramid... Teotihuacan > second most famous... Photo of globe (on Ebay) centred on Mexico, looked like it was at the centre of a great circle not touching very much land.... a good fit for Part 1.
Brian Ambrose

Just realised my second point is not correct, should be 28 degrees north obviously.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I'd like to make two things clear at the outset:
1. Neither of these theories is in any way original to me though the juxtaposing of them, as far as I know, is.
2. I do not endorse the accuracy of any of the claims. You are invited to apply your elastic bands and GoogleEarths and report back.

First the relatively easy one about 'the most land along the line'. The line of longitude that crosses the most land is just to the east of the 30 degrees East line. The line of latitude that does so is just south of the 30 degrees N line. They intersect at the Great Pyramid of Giza.

The Great Circle that covers 'the least amount of land along the line' starts (I shall quote Who Built The Moon directly) by 'crossing the South Atlantic. Skims just below Africa, moves up across the Indian Ocean, clips small pieces of land at Banda Aceh, Sumatra, Thailand and Vietnam, over the South China Sea and then more than 20,000 kilometers across the Pacific to pass over a section of South America'.

This Great Circle has two centres, one is in the southern hemisphere at a location which I can't check but which seems to have no significance somewhere in the South Pacific. The other centre is Stonehenge. (Actually the book claims only Salisbury Plain but at this degree of accuracy I think my version is justifiable.)

So we have this apparent position:
1. The two most famous stone monuments in the world are The Great Pyramid and Stonehenge
2. One is a single point dictated by the intersection of two lines denoting most land
3. The other is one of two points dictated by a single line denoting least land.

Of course it hardly needs me to point out that the linking of the Great Pyramid and Stonehenge is a modern application though Butler and Knight elsewhere state that the former was built by a culture responsible for the latter. What do I believe? Ummm...
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

I thought about Stonehenge, but with the limited resources available to me, it didn't seem to fit.

(I really must get me a globe.)
Brian Ambrose

Yes, that seems to work quite well, although with my Mercator projection method it seems to take in a chunk of Antarctica - will check tonight on my globe (and try to find some more elastic bands).

Sorry, in my excitement I somehow missed the 'most land' bit, I thought the two points were meant to be the two opposite points of the 'most sea' circle.

Interesting result.
Brian Ambrose

PS. Subject to corroboration, I think you can add Easter Island to your list.
Brian Ambrose

Hmmm... Using a calibrated piece of flexible plastic on my 1ft size globe, a circumference with the origin at Stonehenge goes straight through a large chunk of South America - at the northern border of Argentina. It is true that it misses South Africa and the rest, but Stonehenge won't be unique for that (a more easterly location might be better). So Stonehenge doesn't actually work very well.

An origin in India, but on the west coast not the east, works better (the opposite side is somewhere in the mid Pacific, north and east of Easter Island, obviously my Mercantor solution needs a little work), although as noted previously it does cross some land at the top.

Anyone else checked this?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Can't be done, not in a perfectly straight line at least. In historic times people set off from the west, say Plymouth or Lisbon, not Stonehenge. Some oceans are pretty unforgiving, too far north or south would be asking a lot.

Why would anyone want to/need to circumnavigate the globe? Just asking.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Brian Ambrose wrote:
99.35% aint bad.

But yes, it is only a noteworthy coincidence in base 10... but then, we have ten fingers, so our hands are related to the speed of light!

Yes, the first logical fallacy is an assumption that the Great Architect Of The Universe (or whatever you like to call the creative force) would be so "human" that she counts on her ten fingers.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Over at TME, I've been wondering if the Earth used to be closer to the Sun?

If so, it would (I think) be completing its orbit round the Sun in less time. Perhaps c.360 days instead of 365-ish?

Then, if the Earth gained a significant amount of mass (say, from something impacting on Earth), to balance the centripetal force its orbit would then drift outwards until a new stable orbit was found? One that took longer to complete perhaps?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in