MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Megalithic Jack & Cut Throat Jake....... (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Or something more mundane?

Many nursery rhymes are really political satire or protest, hidden in plain sight, from a time when openly criticising the ruling monarch could be a life-ending move.

A Jill is 1/4 pint (imperial measure)
A Jack is 1/8 pint (imperial measure)
and King Charles 1st was fiddling with the units of measure to raise more taxes.

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Jack_and_Jill
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:

As has been observed before in this forum, the normal tendency for people, on hearing a new idea, is to assume either it is novel only because it is fruitcake or (if this is clearly impossible due to the obvious merit of the idea) to believe 'one has always known it'.

Right! Mr Harper.
Wile E. Coyote

Season1 Episode 4

Despair

Wiki wrote:

The name Jack is unique in the English language for the frequency of its use as a verb and a noun for many common objects and actions; and also its use in many compound words and phrases

So the hunt for Megalithic Jack ends in despair. It is not for a lack of sightings...It is not because there are a number of possible trails.....

In English the the familiar form of John is Jack whereas on the continent Jacques refers to James!

The Megalithic Empire Harper & Vered. Pg117

The problem, put simply, is that all that concrete thinking has led us to a fuzzy conclusion. (why?)

Everyman Jack has a name.... but no character .

What seemed important.........
Megalithic Empire wrote:

Jack O Kent, for instance was a famous wizard responsible for throwing immoveable stones around the Welsh border. but also finding himself entombed in various church walls, a common fate for standing stones.

Ends in miserable failure........
Wile E. Coyote

Season1 Finale

Cliffhanger

If we can't solve the problem of Megalithic Jack, then we turn again to Cut throat Jake, just maybe, we might have more success with this " Rustic Lout"......

On line etymology wrote:
Jake......colloquial or familiar abbreviation of the masc. proper name Jacob (q.v.). As the typical name of a rustic lout, from 1854. (Jakey still is the typical name for "an Amishman" among the non-Amish of Pennsylvania Dutch country). Slang meaning "excellent, fine" is from 1914, American English, of unknown origin.

Hmm. Another trail......

On line etymology wrote:
Jacob...masc. proper name, name of Old Testament patriarch, son of Isaac and Rebecca and father of the founders of the twelve tribes, from Late Latin Iacobus, from Greek Iakobos, from Hebrew Ya'aqobh, literally "one that takes by the heel" (Gen. xxviii:12), a derivative of 'aqebh "heel." The most popular name for boys born in the U.S. from 1999 through 2008. Jacob's ladder, in various transferred uses from 1733, is from Gen. xxviii:12.

"Founding father." "One that takes by the heel." How bizarre is that? It turns out that there might be more to our Rustic Lout. than first thought.........
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Wile E. Coyote wrote:

On line etymology wrote:
literally "one that takes by the heel" (Gen. xxviii:12), a derivative of 'aqebh "heel."

Achilles? ...Jachilles?
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
..."One that takes by the heel." How bizarre is that?...

Jasper, my old Jack Russell, used to do that to any guests visiting our house. Never managed to break the habit over the 6 years we had him. He was a stubborn and tenacious little sod.
Wile E. Coyote

Tilo Rebar wrote:

Jasper, my old Jack Russell, used to do that to any guests visiting our house. Never managed to break the habit over the 6 years we had him. He was a stubborn and tenacious little sod.

Excellent. I hope you charged, your guests for the privilege ... I would have liked to include Jack Off Jasper, in the Extras, when my (Ahem) giant, box set on Megalithic History is released......I was thinking about a bonus scene with Lassie.......but from the way you write.....he is dead.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
The megalithic obsession with gaming/gambling transferred from Jack(s)knuckle-bones, via four handed chess (schach) to cards Jack.

It is blindingly obvious, the links between gaming and currency.

Sir Ben Ainslie says competitive sailing is like 'playing chess on water'. The description seems not to be original to him, but is familiar in the sailing fraternity; odd that it makes sense even to a non-sailor and non-chess player. [Not sure if it's relevant but Ainslie could be a footnote in the Coyote canon]
Wile E. Coyote

N R Scott wrote:
Wile E. Coyote wrote:

On line etymology wrote:
literally "one that takes by the heel" (Gen. xxviii:12), a derivative of 'aqebh "heel."

Achilles? ...Jachilles?

Sophocles wrote:

"Nought from the Greeks towards me hath sped well.
So now I find that ancient proverb true,
Foes' gifts are no gifts: profit bring they none."

You will be dismayed to learn that I will get onto Jock, later.
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:
[Not sure if it's relevant but Ainslie could be a footnote in the Coyote canon]

I think you meant Coyote canyon.....

Thank you, for gently pointing out my earlier omission. I should have mentioned seafaring in the list of risky professions. (Jack Tar).
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in