MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Plough (Linguistics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

DPCrisp wrote:

b) a wagon or cart

Wile E. Coyote wrote:

Your invention now looks something like a Sledge/Slide with wheels.

Is it a "wagon" or is it a "cart"............?

To classify your thinking is not difficult.

Let's recollect:

ALL transport of people and 'weights' of course develops from the sledge/slide

You have already mentally imagined something like a heavy object, a lever, an "A" frame, with some "Runners"..

By adding a single wheel to the front of your A frame (your sledge/slide) you have a "Wheel barrow"

By discarding your first wheel to the front of your A frame, and adding two wheels to the side, and then "attaching" a beast of burden (horse power) to the front, of the A frame, you have a "Cart," "Car," "Chariot" or "Carriage."

By extending the rear of the A Frame to add two further wheels to the back you have a "Wagon."

You have invented and classified various types of transport.

But........your Car has only two wheels.......
Wile E. Coyote

On Wagons and Wheels
DPCrisp wrote:
"That's interesting," I said to myself, "since I reckon that wain, wagon, way, wake... are all the same word....."

Difficult to argue with that.

DPCrisp wrote:
and Viking = waking

Maybe...Norway/Norvegr....Northwaking?

Let's take a look, at the problem from an orthodox perspective......

orthodoxy wrote:

The root wegh-, to convey, especially by wheeled vehicle," is found in virtually every branch of Indo-European, including now Anatolian. The root, as well as other widely represented roots such as aks- and nobh-, attests to the presence of the wheel -- and vehicles using it -- at the time Proto-Indo-European was spoken. [Watkins, p. 96]

So you get.........

orthodoxy wrote:

WAGON from Middle Dutch wagen, waghen, from Proto-Germanic *wagnaz (cf. Old English wagen, Modern English wain, Old Saxon and Old High German wagan, Old Norse vagn, Old Frisian wein, German Wagen), from PIE *woghnos, from *wegh- "to carry, to move" (cf. Sanskrit vahanam "vessel, ship," Greek okhos, Latin vehiculum, Old Church Slavonic vozu "carriage, chariot," Russian povozka, Lithuanian vazis "a small sledge," Old Irish fen, Welsh gwain "carriage, cart;"

So orthodoxy says The wagon/wain/gwain are all wheel/wegh words.

But where does that leave Car/Cart/Chariot/Carriage?
Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote wrote:

So orthodoxy says The wagon/wain/gwain are all wheel/wegh words.

But where does that leave Car/Cart/Chariot/Carriage?

Dusty in Memphis Sang wrote:

Round like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending on beginning
On an ever-spinning reel

CR words crop (hey!) up everywhere.

They are often transport words like Car/Cart/Chariot/Carriage

They are often Circle words.......

Dan Crisp wrote:

An example (of predictive success): I was thinking about Cancer/crab/karkinos and found that the kraken, usually depicted as octopus-or-squid-like, is described as part crab. OK, I thought, if there are kark- and krak- words associated with crabs, then I bet there are karak- words not too far away. First into my hear was coracle, a carapace-shaped boat: not too much of a stretch of the imagination when you consider Cancer has been somewhat variable, but always associated with the sea. Currach/curragh/corrack and carrack are boats. Caracole is a spiral shell. Korax/coracoid is to do with ravens/crows: perhaps the beak is likened to the claw. (But, kara means black and Cancer/Karkinos "was often considered the 'Dark Sign', quaintly described as black and without eyes".) Carapace is of "unknown origin". Carceral/incarceration/carcer means prison: a reference to pincer-like shackles, I expect.

Ignoring the vowels as irrelevant, we're looking at krk and circle could well be the hub of all these associations.

Aha......we're looking at krk and circle could well be the hub of all these associations.

Lets add in Coracle/Currach/Curragh/Corrack and Carrack to our list of transport words.......Car/Cart/Chariot/Carriage.

There is however a problem. Coracle/Currach/Curragh/Corrack and Carrack are boats.

Car/Cart/Chariot/Carriage are landed vehicles (extra marks if you completed the ride and noted vehicle is itself a "wegh"/wheel word).

No problem..... you have it all worked out ....it is of course

'Lupine Ecstasis' ........

Have a safe journey........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsXoMS9-xxg
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 7

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in