MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inventing History : forgery: a great British tradition (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Hatty wrote:
Talking of papa, I hope y'all noted the papal red shoes.

The new pope is rubbish.

He tells jokes like a jester.

He forsook his chariot.

Hmmph .....Not a real Sun God.....
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Yeh... I'd have gone for Mel Gibson personally...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Any AE-ists watching the ineffable Michael Wood and his Anglo-Saxons last night
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03816y5/King_Alfred_a
nd_the_Anglo_Saxons_Alfred_of_Wessex/
[Episode Two, The Lady of the Mercians]

will have been arrested by his enthusiasm for Alfred's will. "Surprisingly modern," he gushed. I should cocoa, Michael.

"And ooh look, it mentions so many places that were important in Alfred's reign. And therefore so important for him to make sure that they ended up in the proper hands." No, Michael. Since very few places with Anglo-Saxon spellings are known from the period, the later forger was obliged to use just those, ie the famous ones, to use in his will.

Unless of course you think someone writing a will says to himself, "Out of the infinite number of places in my kingdom that I might consider leaving to specific people, I think I'll just mention those that will be known five hundred years hence."
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Mick Harper wrote:
Any AE-ists watching the ineffable Michael Wood and his Anglo-Saxons last night
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03816y5/King_Alfred_a
nd_the_Anglo_Saxons_Alfred_of_Wessex/
[Episode Two, The Lady of the Mercians]

About 25mins into this they start talking about St Oswald and how his bones were moved across the Danelaw to Gloucester. There are two St Oswalds in the historical record - this one, the 7th century King of Northumbria, and a 10th century Archbishop of York. Both portrayed as especially pious Christians.

It's all a bit odd. Around 900AD they're moving the first one's bones across a political boundary because he's so important. Yet within a hundred years there's another St Oswald on the scene.

Then you look at the name. It apparently means "divine ruler". Os meaning "God" and Wald meaning "wield" in Anglo-Saxon. Surely not a real name.

Also there's this from the first Oswald's Wikipedia page. It concerns miracles associated with his body after death;

Reginald of Durham recounts another miracle, saying that his right arm was taken by a bird (perhaps a raven) to an ash tree, which gave the tree ageless vigor; when the bird dropped the arm onto the ground, a spring emerged from the ground. Both the tree and the spring were, according to Reginald, subsequently associated with healing miracles. Aspects of the legend have been considered to have pagan overtones or influences--this may represent a fusion of his status as a traditional Germanic warrior-king with Christianity. The name of the site, Oswestry, or "Oswald's Tree", is generally thought to be derived from Oswald's death there and the legends surrounding it.[25] His feast day is 5 August. The cult surrounding him even gained prominence in parts of continental Europe.

Plus the other myths and traditions associated with him like the one I mentioned a while back in relation to Roseberry Topping.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

I found the programme impossible to watch but came to temporarily when the will was mentioned because of the names Godalming, Guildford and Steyning, all towns on important routes e.g. the Pilgrims' Way that connect prehistoric places of interest e.g. Cissbury Rings. All predate the Anglo-Saxons needless to say.

Interesting about Oswald because Oswestry as a market town on the English-Welsh border is also at the crossing point of prehistoric north-south and east-west routes. Old Oswestry is one of those impressive features described as Iron Age hillforts, though it appears not to be a fort being "unusually low", twinned with an artificial mound or barrow known as Whittington Castle on the opposite side of the route (now the A5).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here's some high comedy from our old fave, the Beowulf forgery

In 1882 Julius Zupitza succinctly stated as a matter of fact, rather than as a hypothesis, that 'all that is distinct in the FS. in fol. 179 has been freshened up by a later hand in the MS.'

Considering how little it explains, it is surprising that this hypothesis has implicitly prevailed, if only in corrections of supposed freshening-up errors, in editions of Beowulf over the past century and a quarter.

Zupitza never described the features of the hand that convinced him it belonged to a later scribe. He did not give any indication of how much later the later hand was than that of the principal scribe who copied the folios before and after fol. 179.

Zupitza did not even hazard to guess why or how the original text disappeared in the first place; nor why some areas contain overlapping traces of letters and even lines of text; nor why the later hand was so selective in choosing what to freshen up and what to leave untouched, especially when all editors agree that many faint readings are still legible today.

Finally, Zupitza did not describe in support of his hypothesis the unique condition of the surface of the vellum, which appears scoured overall, with napped stains over the most illegible passages, perhaps because it was not as obvious in his autotypes facsimile as it was in the manuscript itself.

With the advent of digital technology, and superior digital images of the manuscript evidence, we are now able as a scholarly community, rather than as an individual scholar with special access to a rare manuscript, to reevaluate the evidence and to offer and assess other hypotheses to explain it.

You can find the full argument here http://www.uky.edu/~kiernan/Nathwylc/ Personally, I couldn't get past the next few lines:

My own understanding of what seems to have happened has evolved over the past twenty-five years ....
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I take your point as thus; one dude said that Beowulf, as it exists, was an edited version of an original story---without any real evidence for his position---yet every scholar since has accepted and echoed this claim as though it were gospel.

Am I correct?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Well, I didn't get as far as working out what it all meant. I was trying to convey how an AE-ist should use his antennae when perusing fairly random sources. Still, now you have raised the point I will try to work out in detail what it actually all means.

In 1882 Julius Zupitza succinctly stated as a matter of fact, rather than as a hypothesis, that 'all that is distinct in the FS. in fol. 179 has been freshened up by a later hand in the MS.'

It is obvious what first drew my attention since "freshened up by a later hand in the MS" clearly implies some kind of doctoring. What is remarkable though is that this seems to be news to the commentator when, one would have thought, it would be Beowulf Studies 101. But furthermore the expression "as a matter of fact, rather than as a hypothesis" is really bewildering. Blimey O'Reilly, surely anybody can see whether a manuscript has been over-written or not?

Considering how little it explains, it is surprising that this hypothesis has implicitly prevailed, if only in corrections of supposed freshening-up errors, in editions of Beowulf over the past century and a quarter.

But if it has 'prevailed' why does it come as news to the commentator, a supposed Beowulf scholar?

Zupitza never described the features of the hand that convinced him it belonged to a later scribe. He did not give any indication of how much later the later hand was than that of the principal scribe who copied the folios before and after fol. 179.

Strewth! Why has such an absolutely vital question been left in the maundering hands of ol' 19th Century Zuppy? Shouldn't everybody be on the case?

Zupitza did not even hazard to guess why or how the original text disappeared in the first place; nor why some areas contain overlapping traces of letters and even lines of text; nor why the later hand was so selective in choosing what to freshen up and what to leave untouched, especially when all editors agree that many faint readings are still legible today.

This is so weird I cannot quite get my head round it.

Finally, Zupitza did not describe in support of his hypothesis the unique condition of the surface of the vellum, which appears scoured overall, with napped stains over the most illegible passages, perhaps because it was not as obvious in his autotypes facsimile as it was in the manuscript itself.

But I can with this passage. It's a straightforward account of a forger's bench top. Not a very good forger by the sound of it, or perhaps a very good one but working in the sixteenth century when you didn't have to be very forensic to be convincing.

With the advent of digital technology, and superior digital images of the manuscript evidence, we are now able as a scholarly community, rather than as an individual scholar with special access to a rare manuscript, to reevaluate the evidence and to offer and assess other hypotheses to explain it.

Yes, do, please. Bet you don't. For some reason.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
"freshened up by a later hand in the MS" clearly implies some kind of doctoring. What is remarkable though is that this seems to be news to the commentator when, one would have thought, it would be Beouwulf Studies 101.

That the Beowulf Story had been "freshened up by a later hand" was indeed "Beouwulf Studies 101" when, 20 years ago or so, I took Beouwulf Studies 101. My impression from the article was that this came not as a surprise to the writer. What he was surprised to discover, and what he wished to convey to his readers, was that this widely-accepted thesis had been proposed initially without any supporting evidence.

However, that a manuscript was visibly "freshened up by a later hand" comes as complete news to me (was this also news to the writer of the article?).

When I took Beowulf Studies 101, we never discussed the manuscript. All the evidence cited for alteration of the original story (by a later, Christian editor) was derived from internal, text analysis. It comes as a shock to me to learn that the manuscript itself bears signs of having been over-written!

Frankly; consideration of a manuscript itself comes as a shock. I simply never considered that the story had but one source!

In AE, we say that there are no special cases. If there is a single manuscript, this makes it a special case and therefore we assume it is a forgery. I am prepared on this basis alone to dismiss the Beowulf myth.

And I doubt you are being sufficiently bold in attributing the forgery to the Tudor period.
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Ishmael wrote:
...And I doubt you are being sufficiently bold in attributing the forgery to the Tudor period.

The forgery could have been faked around the 1580's at the behest of the powers behind the throne who wanted legitimacy and support for James VI of Scotland.

This timing for the work was prior to his marriage to a Danish bride, Anne of Denmark, the daughter of the Protestant Frederick II, and the coming unification of the Scottish and English crowns.

Convenient that Beowulf is set in Scandinavia and has echoes of King Arthur, the founding (mythical) English monarch.
Ishmael

Tilo Rebar wrote:
The forgery could have been faked around the 1580's at the behest of...James VI of Scotland. This timing for the work was prior to his marriage to a Danish bride, Anne of Denmark....

Very nice theory.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

My favourite hoax is the Holy Foreskins.

Thank goodness we don't have that to worry about. Well, apart from our Royal Family of course, whose male offspring until recently still got a visit from the Chief Foreskin Snipper of Great Britain.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We haven't discussed Lascaux for some time so I post this reprint from The Megalithic Portal without comment.

-------------------

Authorities in the southwestern French town of Montignac are investigating the extraordinary possibility that, just 4km from the famous Lascaux caves, there may exist another set of prehistoric paintings hidden away in a separate underground cavern.

One of the cave paintings at Lascaux in south-western France. Could a 50-year-old family secret help unveil a new prehistoric art gallery at nearby Montignac? [Credit: ProfSaxx/Wikimedia]

A group of teenagers in the south west of France in 1940 stumble across what turns out to be a complex network of Paleolithic caves with a series of astonishing 17,000-year-old frescoes, which becomes known as the 'Sistine Chapel of the Prehistoric era.' You might assume this type of thing only happens once in the same region, but authorities in the town of Montignac, Dordogne are probing the possibility of the existence of a second Lascaux cave.

The rumours of a second cave covered in pre-historic artwork have been circulating for years, but it appears local authorities are now ready to take them seriously after one local family shared an extraordinary secret they had kept to themselves for half a century.

According to French media reports this week, preliminary investigations by the town's mayor, as well as authorities in the Dordogne region, have proved promising enough to warrant a more detailed probe into a patch of land 4 km from the site of the Lascaux caves.

'There's no certainty, and we are still quite far from having the necessary evidence to confirm the existence of another decorated cave,' Montignac mayor Laurent Mathieu told French daily Le Figaro this week. Despite that caution, however, Mathieu did confirm that the culture department of the Dordogne regional administration would soon be mapping out a 10-hectare area for 'further research.'

This region will also be placed under surveillance, to prevent amateur archaeologists from conducting their own, unsupervised investigations.

The possibility of a second momentous discovery near the south-western town came about in August, when a local woman in her 70s approached Mathieu with an extraordinary claim. She told him her husband -- who died in August -- had come across a cave with prehistoric frescoes back in 1962, but covered the entrance back up, for fear of bringing hassle on himself, according to France Info radio.

The secret had stayed in the family for 51 years, until she finally shared it with the mayor. The original cave art at Lascaux was found in 1940, and attracted hordes of visitors until it was closed to the public in 1983. A partial set of detailed imitations located next to the original cave have since brought roughly 10 million visitors to the region, a result that politicians and residents in Montignac will be hoping they can replicate with a brand new set of prehistoric paintings.

A member of staff at the local tourist office told The Local on Thursday that the possibility of a second Lascaux cave was the topic of conversation on everyone's lips.

"The rumours have been around for a while, but everyone is talking about it now. For the moment we just don't know. "The mayor believes the story but there are other archaeologists who doubt it. If a second cave was found it would be excellent for the region," she added.
Grant

It's funny how local people are always aware of these caves for at least a few years prior to the "discovery." But no-one says anything until a local amateur prehistorian stumbles upon them.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The Voynich manuscript, never decoded, seems to have been manufactured in the USA. Experts appear to be unconvinced. Others may reach their own conclusions

-------

A mysterious manuscript that appears to be written in gibberish may actually be in an extinct dialect of the Mexican language Nahuatl. Illustrations of plants in the manuscript have been linked to plants native to Central America for the first time, suggesting a new origin for the text. But some still say it could be a hoax.

The Voynich manuscript has puzzled researchers since book dealer Wilfrid Voynich found it in an Italian monastery in 1912. Among hundreds of pages of so-far undecipherable text, it includes illustrations of naked nymphs, astrological diagrams and drawings of plants that no one has been able to identify.

An academic war has raged for years between those who think the manuscript contains a real language that could eventually be decoded, and those who think it was a clever forgery designed to dupe book collectors. "It's a battle with two sides," says Alain Touwaide, a historian of botany at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.

Mexican look

Previously, many researchers assumed that the manuscript must have originated in Europe, where it was found. But botanist Arthur Tucker of Delaware State University in Dover noticed similarities between certain plants in the manuscript and illustrations of plants in 16th century records from Mexico.

Tucker began collecting copies of Mexican botanical books out of curiosity about the history of herbs there. "Quite by accident, I ran across the Voynich and it was a Homer Simpson moment of D'oh! Of course this matches my other codices and the artwork of 16th century Mexico."

The most striking example was an illustration of a soap plant (xiuhamolli) in a Mexican book dated 1552. Tucker and Rexford Talbert, a retired information technology researcher at the US Department of Defense and NASA, connected a total of 37 of the 303 plants, six animals and one mineral illustrated in the Voynich manuscript to 16th century species in the region that lies between Texas, California and Nicaragua. They think many of the plants could have come from what is now central Mexico.

On the basis of these similarities, the pair suggests that the manuscript came from the New World, and that it might be written in an extinct form of the Mexican language Nahuatl. Deciphering the names of these plants could therefore help crack the Voynich code.

Plant forgery

Gordon Rugg of Keele University in the UK remains sceptical. He thinks a careful forger could have made up plausible-looking plants.

"It's pretty good odds that you'll find plants in the world that happen to look like the Voynich manuscript just by chance," he says. "If I sat down with a random plant generator software and got it to generate 50 completely fictitious plants, I'm pretty sure I could find 20 real plants that happen to look like 20 of the made up plants."

Touwaide says the findings are intriguing, but agrees that they form just one of many hypotheses. "I believe that it doesn't prove anything. If it's a forgery, someone could very well have had the idea of creating the forgery on the basis of New World flora. At the most, it shows a possible source of the forgery."

Tucker admits that there is work to be done before they can throw out the hoax hypothesis entirely. But one of the Voynich plants makes him wonder: it looks strikingly similar to Viola bicolor, the American field pansy, which only grows in North America. The distinction between this plant and its European relative, Viola tricolor, was not known until after the Voynich was discovered. Ruling out time travel, says Tucker, how would this have been possible? "If this is a hoax, they did a dang good job and had help from a competent botanist who had knowledge only available after 1912 in some crucial cases."

Journal reference: HerbalGram
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Jump to:  
Page 33 of 181

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in