MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Matters Arising (The History of Britain Revealed)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 219, 220, 221 ... 239, 240, 241  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Actually this gives the lie to all notions of creolisation

A family that contains no bastards..... is truly happy.
Edwin

Came back on to record a phenomonem. Re-reading the book Anglo-Saxon Weapons and Warfare which contains a number of parallel texts of AS and "modern English". The more I concentrate on the AS the more intelligible it gets, in other words either I am learning AS or my mind is reforming its stylistic differences to make its basic English readable to me.

More and more of AS seems to belong to English as opposed to AS. At the moment the big non-English examples are the ge... type words.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Edwin wrote:
Came back on to record a phenomonem. Re-reading the book Anglo-Saxon Weapons and Warfare which contains a number of parallel texts of AS and "modern English". The more I concentrate on the AS the more inteligible it gets, in other words either I am learning AS or my mind is reforming its stylistic differences to make its basic English readable to me.

More and more of AS seems to belong to English as apposed to AS. At the moment the big non-English examples are the ge... type words.

Sounds promising.
Didn't we have a post on something like GE = WA
e.g. Guarantee - Warranty
Any help?
Edwin

The worthy academics are partly up the wrong tree. English with a Scandinavian flavour does not post-date the AS but predates them as we discuss on this forum. I wonder if some of the awkwardnesses I (we?) have in AS aren't the same difficulties that they would have found in reverse in trying to assimilate the Native English language to AS.

No wonder Alfred the Geat (Great) wanted Thegns and priests to learn the approved form of the legal and courtly language, going native as they probably did.
frank h

Mick Harper wrote:
So a bunch of gen-u-wine academics have proved linguistically that English doesn't come from Anglo-Saxon.

My data plots on www.fchknols.co.uk suggests that the Scandinavian settlements (by, thorpe, toft etc) mostly intermingle with Saxon place-names (worth and bottle) in eastern and northern Britain. The majority of places (worth and bottle) however occur over all of England, except Cumberland, would thus seem to predate the Scandinavians.

Maybe the Scandinavian dialect simply dominated the parts they occupied. For example in the Saxon parts 'berie' is given in the AS Chronicle while for the predominantly Angle region the spelling is 'burg'.

Saxon then apparently died out, perhaps after the Normans removed the establishment in the south.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

frank h wrote:
Saxon then apparently died out, perhaps after the Normans removed the establishment in the south.

Well, as "The Saxons" was originally just a mercenary army that chanced its luck (after being invited over by Vortigen), maybe it's not surprising many of them decided to go home after the Normans made a hostile takeover of the Overlord role.

i.e. they didn't die out. The ones that fancied their chances emigrated and did things like join the Holy Roman army (as mercenaries again). The ones that didn't fancy their chances and weren't ambitious got merged into the native population.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Boreades wrote:
Well, as "The Saxons" was originally just a mercenary army that chanced its luck (after being invited over by Vortigen)....

How do people write this story and not immediately recognize the parallel?
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Boreades wrote:
Well, as "The Saxons" was originally just a mercenary army that chanced it's luck (after being invited over by Vortigan)....

Who was Gildas working for when he wrote his fairy tales?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

To answer that you need to first ask: "When was Gildas writing?" It is unlikely to be the sixth century. Regular readers will be amused to hear that

In fact, the oldest surviving manuscript (British Library MS Cotton Vitellius A vi) was badly damaged by fire in 1731. Fortunately, the text had previously been printed.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So to answer your question, the answer would probably be "one of the post-1531 Tudor/Stuart rulers".
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

It seem most of the English monarchy, including the present incumbents, want to be able to trace (prove) their ancestry to King Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon.

King Aurthur was given the right to rule by meeting the requirements of the population of England...

"Only he who so pulleth this sword from this stone and anvil, is rightwise king born of all England."

So the whole authority of English, then British, monarchs is base on an unfalsifiable myth. So providing a family link to Arthur can be provided (forged) the right to reign is beyond question.

So which of the Stuarts or Tudors was having trouble with their lineage back in the 1500's?
frank h

Boreades wrote:
Well, as "The Saxons" was originally just a mercenary army that chanced its luck (after being invited over by Vortigan), maybe it's not surprising many of them decided to go home after the Normans made a hostile takeover of the Overlord role.

The several thousand 'bury', 'wick', 'bur' places regularly aligning the Roman roads in England in particular (Wales, Cornwall and Scotland also have some) and near Roman towns and forts suggest Saxons (and maybe Angles) were thick on the ground during the Roman occupation providing stopping station functions - not post-Roman mercenaries.

The goodly number of chester, cestor, castor etc. (villages and farms, not just the big Roman towns readily seen on the maps) and even some castle might suggest a goodly number of Latins also settled all over Britain during that period doing a similar thing..
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If, of course, the Roman roads were Roman. Who would in fact build straight roads? Would it be
a) excellent civil engineers like the Romans who would exploit the contours of the landscape like every civil engineer of any competence and therefore build bendy roads or
b) Megalithics who were operating a post-leyline system that required straightness for technical reasons?
frank h

Mick Harper wrote:
If, of course, the Roman roads were Roman. Who would in fact build straight roads?

The OS Roman Britain map shows mostly straightish roads, nevertheless some seem to follow the contours, perhaps the pre-existing routes, particularly in the hilly regions of the north.

My plots of 'bury' also suggest many likely minor bendy interconnections aswell (the OS also say this, but do not show them).

I have not looked at a megalithic context, presumably many such tracks existed prior to the Romans, maybe the 'don/dun/dinas' places represent the relevant signage or stopping points for traders of that period, although they visibly seem to correlate better with the Iron Age Hill forts (which appear to be largely in the Megalith regions anyway, 2-3000BC?)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A new review out on Amazon. Good to see it's still getting attention after all these years. The last sentence will go nicely on the back cover of a new edition.

[From a Mr P Brown] Harper's entire argument, if we can call it that, comes down to this: "all academics, without exception, are morons, charlatans and cowards afraid of losing their jobs if they challenge the status quo; therefore everything they say is wrong by definition; therefore whatever I pull out of my backside must be true." He starts from the assumption that things have always been as they are now, and then, after doing no research and considering no evidence, concludes that, surprise, things have always been as they are now. Ad hominems, straw men, false dichotomies, begging the question, arguments from incredulity, and literally nothing else. I don't think I've ever read a worse book.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 219, 220, 221 ... 239, 240, 241  Next

Jump to:  
Page 220 of 241

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in