MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Will the Real Cynesians Please Step Forward? (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

DPCrisp wrote:
Whoever did the invading must have been enjoying good fortune at the time.

Arabs.

Fall of Byzantine empire.

Oops. But that messes with history.

Many stayed behind. Live today in Roman-ia and A-Roman-ia.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Ishmael wrote:
I am tempted to read that word as meaning "Born of the kin". Makes a lot of sense to me. O-g-bourne = Of-kin-born.

That's funny, just realised the reason Odysseus was detained on Calypso's island was punishment for one of his crew killing an animal belonging to Apollo. Cattle, or kine, of the sun-god.

I can't remember the discussion on the cattle of the sun. But what I do remember is that Hermes swapped his lyre with Apollo for the famous cattle and Hermes is of course the god of animal husbandry.

There must have been safeguards in place to cater for contingencies such as cattle-theft. Ogbourne St George is the only village on the Ridgeway (the Ridgeway proper as opposed to the Icknield Way).
TelMiles

In: London

On the subject of "Ogre", the Welsh name for England was "Logres" (I believe that is still the case, but with a different spelling)...Put in an apostrophe and it becomes "L'ogres"...land of the Ogres. Not sure where to go with that...just something I've noticed.

In: Ramsbottom

TelMiles wrote:
On the subject of "Ogre", the Welsh name for England was "Logres"

This is said to pre-date the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons.

So the Welsh already recognized the difference between themselves and their western neighbours.
Ishmael

TelMiles wrote:
"L'ogres"...land of the Ogres. Not sure where to go with that...just something I've noticed.

L'O'Gre

Land of the Khans.

Though Khan means "kin" I have toyed with the notion that an ancient "empire" of sorts once spanned the world from China to the British Isles. The Empire was ruled on a feudal basis with a local Khan (king) who presided over a network of shires (or zones). The global empire broke apart at some point in history, leaving the Khans (kings) mostly autonomous within their regions.

Might it be that the Welsh were never incorporated within this feudal system?
Chad

Ishmael wrote:
Though Khan means "kin" I have toyed with the notion that an ancient "empire" of sorts once spanned the world from China to the British Isles.

If you are right, it extended beyond China.

As you pointed out... 'Canada' is the native term for village and is a classic Khan-Tsar.
Ishmael

Chad wrote:
As you pointed out... 'Canada' is the native term for village and is a classic Khan-Tsar.

Yes. That's right. I had forgotten. But Mick did not.

The Canadian prairies specifically were part of the Global Empire he too has suggested might once have existed. He reached his conclusions on the basis of quite independent evidence. I may have been influenced by him and also Fomenko. Nevertheless, I find intriguing the convergence of these three different lines of inquiry.
Rocky

TelMiles wrote:
Put in an apostrophe and it becomes "L'ogres"...
...and it starts to look French.
Chad

In another thread, from which we have been evicted, Ishmael wrote:
Chad wrote:
The Egyptians (R_m_t).

This is how they came to have both names. (Gypsies/Roma)

Yes but there was someone we called Egyptians and someone else we called Romans, though both groups seem to have considered themselves Roman.

The question concerned the identity of the head-honchos. I say they were the aristocracy in the capital of the world: Rome. That was where the the [Megalithic] system was run.

All roads led to Rome.

(Of course, Rome was only later relocated to Italy.)

This really is starting to come together very nicely.
Ishmael

Chad wrote:
This really is starting to come together very nicely.

That's what I was thinking.
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Chad wrote:
Yes but there was someone we called Egyptians and someone else we called Romans, though both groups seem to have considered themselves Roman.

The question concerned the identity of the head-honchos. I say they were the aristocracy in the capital of the world: Rome. That was where the the [Megalithic] system was run.

All roads led to Rome.

(Of course, Rome was only later relocated to Italy.)

Greetings to the AE community.

Seems to me that the peoples coming from the West at the end of the last glaciation had a preference for islands (security?). Perhaps current historians have got things 180 degrees wrong all these years and the original 'Rome' or 'place of the Megalithia kin' was actually Camulodunon (meaning the fortress of the Celtic war god, Camulos)... AKA Colchester.

Many interesting and useful materials/geography in and around Colchester which would have had great significance for the early Megalithic settlers.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

And to you, Mr Rebar. One of the Burgess Hill Rebars, I'll be bound. Not out of the top drawer but not criminal class either. So we'll stretch a point.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Jump to:  
Page 14 of 14

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in