MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Digits digits (Life Sciences)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Hatty wrote:
There was a discussion on the radio about symmetry where one of the interviewees stated that the brain is structured in such a way as to recognise symmetry and she cited the bumble bee being attracted to flowers because of their symmetrical pattern (apparently bees lack a sense of direction and are colour blind). I don't know if this is accepted in the science community. Why not the other way round, that flowers evolved a symmetrical pattern to attract the bees?

Yes we might like symmetry but please excuse my French, but this is bollocks. Bees have a highly developed sense of direction, and shape recognition. See the Waggle Dance of Bees.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

The bees' dance even tells other bees what angle to fly at with respect to the sun in the sky.

Bees even adjust their dance, inside the darkness of the hive, to compensate for the changing angle of the sun during the day.

I think we need a new phrase for non-verbal non-literate scientific awareness.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in