MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Donald, where's your trousers? (Megalithic)
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pulp History

In: Wales

Just watched a repeat of the Time Team Special - the one where they come up with a theory linking Durrington Walls with the Stonehenge site via the river...........

At the end there were some fabulous 'reconstructions' in the form of artists' impressions based on the latest archaeological evidence gathered from the sites..........

What struck me as quite funny, as I sat sniggering to myself eating my Braeburn (British of course, think of the carbon footprint of South African apples!!), was the fact that the hard-working souls, whilst building the henge monuments by erecting large, accurately cut sarsens, pulling them into place to build this astronomically unsurpassed piece of engineering, were seen to be wearing pieces of goat skin wrapped around their feet and big furry loin cloths tied around their privates.

So these amazing mathematicians and engineers were clearly so busy designing their monument that they completely forgot to design or invent a simple pair of bloody trousers or a shirt!! Amazing........

Did make me chuckle though. So thank you Time Team.

In: Wales

Apologies for replying to my own post but you have to see this!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/stonehenge/video.shtml?video=day2

Fantastic!! Modern 'Druids' blessing the archaeological dig at Stonehenge....... while the ancestors may have been intelligent, sadly their progeny are not so........... diolch yn fawr.
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The people participating in this somewhat bizarre ceremony looked extremely uncomfortable, they clearly felt the need for some kind of ritual to appease the ancestors but didn't seem to have a tailor-made formula... bit of a mish-mash, the High Priest's (?) white robes was too KKKish for my taste but his horn is just like the shofar blown on the Day of Atonement.

The Chinese on the other hand have an underground necropolis which hasn't been breached out of respect for the First Emperor. Makes you wonder if these 'Druids' really go in for ancestor-worship.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
The Chinese on the other hand have an underground necropolis which hasn't been breached out of respect for the First Emperor. Makes you wonder if these 'Druids' really go in for ancestor-worship.

Or is it possible there's another reason why the Chinese government has not seen fit to excavate further? The teracotta warriors, let us not forget, are supposedly from this site, so it's not like they've done no digging at all. Looks to me like maybe they've done "just enough" digging, if the truth is not their goal.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

The Chinese have their own Druids to worry about. Or rather, embarrassingly ancient tall red-haired Celtic-style people that pre-date Chinese history.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarim_mummies
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Ak-Khazars.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:

The rate at which it will be breached is likely to match the rate at which they can pre-fill it with newly-minted ancient artifacts.
Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in