MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Great Minds Think Differently (Psychology)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Ishmael wrote:
I often do too! In fact, I often begin to dream before I fall to sleep -- and this is in fact how I know I'm finally about to fall asleep after a bout of insomnia. My brain begins to dream of its own accord while I am still fully conscious, able to move and even to think about other things simultaneously.

Yes, this sounds very, very familiar.

I used to be quite adept at using this state (though in my case I was only semi-conscious and movement would kick me out of it) to control the events and direction of my dreams... I had some amazing lucid dreams, but unfortunately this is quite a rare occurrence nowadays... having diminished (sadly) as my sleep patterns have become more normal.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

Mick wrote:
So, does everybody here start dreaming the moment they nod off?

I used to wig-out on the bus, thinking I was just watching things pass by... then realising I had been (day)dreaming. And still, in the twilight minutes/hours before really waking up. These not-really-asleep-but-wishing-I-were times suggest Ish's "immediate dreams are a symptom of lack of sleep". If I dream during the night, I am usually not aware of it, or get that can't-quite-remember-it sensation. When I do remember "proper" dreams, they have a different character from the turbulent, half-conscious dreams.

I get most of my sleeping done while driving.

Chad wrote:
I used to be quite adept at using this state to control the events and direction of my dreams...

Richard Feynman, the world-renowned smarty-pants and undoubted Arse-burger, went through a phase (as a teenager, I think) of consciously inspecting and directing his own dreams, 'til he decided he'd had enough and gave it up.
Wireloop

In: Detroit

DPCrisp wrote:

Richard Feynman, the world-renowned smarty-pants and undoubted Arse-burger, went through a phase (as a teenager, I think) of consciously inspecting and directing his own dreams, 'til he decided he'd had enough and gave it up.

I used to be able to do this upon demand. Meaning, if I told myself just before nodding off to have a 'lucid dream', then 75% of the time I would become aware of my dream state while still sleeping. At that point I could consciously control, alter or create the dream. Oftentimes in this state I would recall problems that I was dealing with in 'reality' in order to find a solution. Upon waking I would apply the solution, if found whilst dreaming, and find that more often than not the solution was correct. I eventually stopped doing this because, as husband, father and employee, it affected my sleep pattern negatively. I too, like Feynman, first remember being able to do this as a teen, and I encourage everyone to give it a try. It's fantastic, but a little eerie at first. And takes a lot of practice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream
Chad

Lucid dreaming phone apps !?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18277074
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I did not realise that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were married until today when they filed for divorce. I presume I must have registered it any number of times in the past but it came as a surprise -- my immediate reaction on learning the news (of the marriage rather than the divorce) was, 'what an ideal couple'.

I am a polymath so something a little strange must be going on.
Chad

Mick Harper wrote:
I am a polymath so something a little strange must be going on.

B12 deficiency?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My disgraceful diet requires me to take vitamin supplements. However I am fairly confident that too many of these are deleterious to health, both physical and mental, and this is contrary to the general view that you can't have too many trace elements. On the whole, yes you can. As my hippy, dippy friends and relations demonstrate on a daily basis. The only exception I would make is for salt, of which I would urge everyone to take two or three times the government's recommended dose and five or ten times the amount my hippy, dippy friends and relations take.

Late News
A recent edition of the warmly recommended Trust Me, I'm A Doctor urged supplements of lutein, zeathanthine and meso-zeanthine to slow even reverse occular and brain degeneration for people in the getting-on-a-bit bracket. This appears to be only available in Macushield tablets. This is a good sign because it demonstrates it is medical rather than faddy. Anyway I am taking one a day.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Speaking of lacunae in my brain, here's another one. My wireless keyboard went on the blink after years and years of yeoman service. After the usual two-day trawl of Microsoft self-help fora, I discovered the batteries had run out. What's so unusual about this? I didn't know the wretched thing had batteries! How come? Well, since it would be the only consumer durable not either plugged into the mains or battery-powered, I can only presume that my brain had registered the unusual fact that the keyboard was acting through the aether, and therefore concluded the equally unlikely fact that it was picking up electricity on the return journey. Something.like that. Could be a B12 deficiency, that would work too.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

NO.... you just have too much important stuff going on in your head, the memory is used up, you now lack the capacity to solve the mundane.

Head in the clouds is my diagnosis.

Please forward your PO to the normal address.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'll send it over the aether.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
(I really do think that the dating of posts would be useful, Mr Harper)

if I had had my way, the order of the posts would be periodically re-jigged so nobody would know when they were last accessed but web designers cannot manage such a feat.

Oh dear, I wish I had read this thread years ago. I didn't get where I am today without being able to completely bugger-up database datetime arithmetic. In most cases, a cause for woe, but in this case, perfect for scrambling the order the posts appear in.

Just send me the web admin username and password and I'll have it adjusted in no time.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in