MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Instinct, ancestral memory (Psychology)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
Can somebody enlighten me?

Yes.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Thanks, Ishmael. I thought I was going mad.
Ishmael

N R Scott wrote:
If Horizontal Gene Transfer plays a greater role than generally thought, couldn't it be possible that viruses spread this sort of information.

Getting warmer.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Ishmael wrote:
Mick Harper wrote:
Can somebody enlighten me?

Yes.

Brilliant... first time I've cracked a smile all day.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Mick Harper wrote:
Thanks, Ishmael. I thought I was going mad.

Brilliant... only second time I've cracked a smile all day.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Ishmael wrote:
Getting warmer.

So what's the true picture? Or is that classified information?
N R Scott

Just been reading about Lamarckism. Seems the mainstream pretty much accepts it these days. They kept that quiet didn't they.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

They do? Could you provide some people-and-places on this astonishing intelligence.
Ishmael

N R Scott wrote:
So what's the true picture? Or is that classified information?

With all the clues I've given in other threads, I'm amazed no one has guessed.
N R Scott

Mick Harper wrote:
They do? Could you provide some people-and-places on this astonishing intelligence.

This is all from wikipedia's page on the topic.

Interest in Lamarckism has recently increased, as several studies in the field of epigenetics have highlighted the possible inheritance of behavioral traits acquired by the previous generation. A recent such study examined foraging behavior in chickens as a function of stress, concluding: Our findings suggest that unpredictable food access caused seemingly adaptive responses in feeding behavior

The evolution of acquired characteristics has also been shown in human populations who have experienced starvation, resulting in altered gene function in both the starved population and their offspring.

In October 2010, further evidence linking food intake to traits inherited by the offspring were shown in a study of rats conducted by several Australian universities.

Several recent studies, one conducted by researchers at MIT and another by researchers at the Tufts University School of Medicine, have rekindled the debate once again. As reported in MIT's Technology Review in February 2009, "The effects of an animal's environment during adolescence can be passed down to future offspring ... The findings provide support for a 200-year-old theory of evolution that has been largely dismissed: Lamarckian evolution, which states that acquired characteristics can be passed on to offspring."

Mind you, don't go expecting the establishment to start using the term Lamarck any time soon. I think the cheeky so-and-so's are just going to relabel the entire thing epigenetics.
Brian Ambrose

Chad wrote:
N R Scott wrote:
Here's a thought off the top off my head. If Horizontal Gene Transfer plays a greater role than generally thought, couldn't it be possible that viruses spread this sort of information.

Yes, I think we've touched on this before... but even so, the first blue tit to come up with the idea would still have to encode it into its DNA for onward transmission.

Yes, exactly. However information may be shared (by chemical transfer - sniffing bottoms, or viruses, whatever) it would seem that there has to be a DNA encoding process at work. The quotes from wiki suggest that this has already been observed. I particularly note the words 'altered gene function'. This is careful ignoral at work - they have not dared to say the genes have changed (that would be heretical) but that their function has altered. Since no-one knows how orderly processes emerge from the raw ingredients, let alone behavioural processes, this is pretty meaningless except as a marker that something is happening here, but they don't know what it is.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thanks, NRS. I'd sort of known about all this at the time but assumed it was just the usual off-message publicity-hound academics taking advantage of the silly season to boost their ratings and funding. But no (and pace Brian) it really does look as though the Old Paradigm is in for a bit of a shaking. The next a hundred and fifty years should prove decisive.
Brian Ambrose

The effects of an animal's environment during adolescence can be passed down to future offspring

This is an amazing statement which is, as Mick says, paradigm busting. It would confirm that experience, ie memory, is not only written to DNA in the brain but also copied to sexual DNA for onward transmission. It may imply that the older the better when it comes to procreation, since the parent has had more experience and so potentially is able to pass on more information to its offspring. Are children of older parents wiser? Also, if memory is written to DNA, maybe all our cells are so encoded? Perhaps that explains anecdotal evidence that transplants affect recipients' behaviour? Whatever, it seems there is still a helluva lot to discover about DNA.
Ishmael

Brian Ambrose wrote:
Yes, exactly. However information may be shared (by chemical transfer - sniffing bottoms, or viruses, whatever) it would seem that there has to be a DNA encoding process at work.

No. There doesn't.

Release yourself from the neo-darwinian paradigm.
Ishmael

Brian Ambrose wrote:
This is an amazing statement which is, as Mick says, paradigm busting. It would confirm that experience, ie memory, is not only written to DNA in the brain but also copied to sexual DNA for onward transmission.

Doesn't confirm that at all.

DNA is not pivotal to the process.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in