MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Bow and Arrow in the Americas: Why So Late? (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berniegreen

Did anybody see the news that a stone axe-head which had been ground by a sandstone grindstone has been excavated in The Northern Territory and dated to 35,000BPE. Oldest ground axe-head discovered in Europe is 6,000BPE.

Is it time for an "Out of Australia" theory of origin?
Send private message Send e-mail
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Only goes to show what nonsense all this dating crap is.
berniegreen

Ishmael wrote:
I understand, Ishmael. Don't let it bother you. The world was really and truly all made in a week in 4004BC.
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

They have found one volcanic stone aboriginal axehead which of course they cannot directly date. 'Close' to the axehead, above, below they found charcoal which they have carbon 'dated' to 35000 BPE. They have inferred from this, that the axe is therefore datable to 35000BPE. They have also inferred that as the nearest volcanic stone is 40 kilometres away, it was probably traded. They then produced a highly interesting news story/myth based on these inferences from what is an interesting find.
Ishmael

berniegreen wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
I understand, Ishmael. Don't let it bother you. The world was really and truly all made in a week in 4004BC.

Eat a dick.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Eat a dick.

That's actually a local delicacy in Bernie's neck of the woods.
berniegreen

1. To N8. So are you saying that the axe-head is less likely to be 35,000 years old or are you just having a whinge?

2. To Ishmael. It is so nice to know that I am in such a refined company of lofty browed intellectuals.

3. To Chad. Nah mate. It's Sydney where they go in for all that dick eating. Here in Melbourne we wouldn't think of such a thing!!
Ishmael

berniegreen wrote:
It is so nice to know that I am in such a refined company of lofty browed intellectuals.

We don't serve their kind.
berniegreen

Ishmael wrote:
berniegreen wrote:
It is so nice to know that I am in such a refined company of lofty browed intellectuals.

We don't serve their kind.
You astonish me.
nemesis8

berniegreen wrote:
1. To N8. So are you saying that the axe-head is less likely to be 35,000 years old

I am just reporting what they found. One ground stone axe between some 35000 year old "dated" charcoal. Given that you already have dated "70000" year old ground beads, in Ozland, I am not sure what would this add to any out of Australia thesis.

Perhaps you could tell us a little more?
berniegreen

nemesis8 wrote:
They have found one volcanic stone aboriginal axehead which of course they cannot directly date. 'Close' to the axehead, above, below they found charcoal which they have carbon 'dated' to 35000 BPE. They have inferred from this, that the axe is therefore datable to 35000BPE. They have also inferred that as the nearest volcanic stone is 40 kilometres away, it was probably traded. They then produced a highly interesting news story/myth based on these inferences from what is an interesting find.
OK, let me put it another way - Your point is..?
nemesis8

Bernie,

N8 is confused, you consistently ask others for evidence, yet when you do produce some yourself, it is just as consistent with "wizard of OZ theory" than "out of OZ theory"

Surely you can add something, new to this thread. Are you serious with this out of Oz stuff?
berniegreen

Aha ! I see your problem, N8. My "Out of Oz" remark was really intended as a bit of a joke.

Of the various "out of"s that have been mooted I would rate the probabilities as, say,
O o Africa alone 80%,
O o SE Asia alone 30%,
O o Africa & SE Asia 90%,
O o Canada/Australia 1% and
Multi-region Out Of 0%
nemesis8

berniegreen wrote:
Aha ! I see your problem, N8. My "Out of Oz" remark was really intended as a bit of a joke.

Very dry, like the Great Sandy.
Edwin

Bows and arrows are a complicated technology that must be continuously maintained, redoing bowstrings, fletching arrows etc. A lot to carry around and not immediately available for opportunistic hunting. The spear/woomera are always ready.

Admittedly the Bushmen of South Africa use bows but to hunt with their weak and handy weapons they must spend time on preparing and applying poison. The Hadza further North use more powerful bows which are kept strung all the time and there is prestige associated with bow hunting that even small boys try to emulate so they are very much a bow orientated culture.

Incidentally I once made a rough bow out of Hazel and kept it strung for two years and it was as good as it ever was until it finally broke. Another myth gone that bows should always be unstrung between shoot? Have to admit that I unstring my other bows though.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in