MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Comments on Walking Ancient Landscapes (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It was my theory that claimed Angle-land, ie the mystical triangle wot is Britain, was Megalithically created by carving out the Straits of Dover.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
It was my theory that claimed Angle-land, ie the mystical triangle wot is Britain, was Megalithically created by carving out the Straits of Dover.

Yes yes yes. I don't deny it. But I've just linked that up with my long-ago proposal that England = Henge-land. We can now see that this also is the equivalent of your "Angle land" but that it refers in all likelihood to the world navigation system.

Henge is cognate with angle: It is the point where straits converge.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Ishmael wrote:
I've just linked that up with my long-ago proposal that England = Henge-land. We can now see that this also is the equivalent of your "Angle land" but that it refers in all likelihood to the world navigation system.

From the When U Get Home bit of the Yorkshire walk:
In fact, these western Hermes saints seem to represent Megalithic maritime trade routes. in connection with strategically important routes with strategically-placed wells named St. Fermin, St. Cernin and the rest.

Michael is 'who is like God', which assumes 'El' is God, but as we've discussed, L is a right angle, so it's plausible for a God's right-hand man to be put in charge of trade routes. Perhaps the number of towns and villages with '-ing' names refer to angles too.
Hatty
Site Admin

Britain doesn't look like a triangle from where I'm sitting.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I was half-quoting John Michell and others who claim that Britain is some mystical size/shape or other. Details would be handy if anyone has them.

While we are on the subject of mega-engineering, there is also
a) the perfect lozenge of the Isle of Wight
b) the perfect positioning of the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea
c) the perfect quadrant of the island of Ireland.

Using the word 'perfect' in the Megalithic sense of "in the eye of the beholder, if the beholder is already a true believer".
Hatty
Site Admin

May the saints preserve us from true believers.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You used not to be one, if memory serves.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
Michael is 'who is like God', which assumes 'El' is God, but as we've discussed, L is a right angle, so it's plausible for a God's right-hand man to be put in charge of trade routes...

Does "El" mean "right angle"???

Is that not implicit in the word Elbow? A bow (curve) bent to a right angle?

Michael is an angel (angle) that is "like god" (90 degrees square).

There is a lot of stuff taking shape here. A lot coming together.
Hatty
Site Admin

It's perfectly rational to state that surveyors measured/laid out routes, less so to produce a 'perfect(?) quadrant' or triangle or whatever. How would you propose an island in a 'perfect position' could be anchored?

Going back to the dragon-slaying bit, there's this chap St. Rumbold/Rombald who has a Yorkshire plateau stacked with cup-and-ring stones named after him and a Dorset church dedicated to him right next to the longest (recognised) cursus in Britain. So I'm thinking that 'Rom' in fact means 'worm' and that the saintly hermits posted at fords, bridges, etc. were the worms/dragons who controlled the highways demanding the required tolls. It isn't hard to see how rapacious toll-keepers profiting from trade-routes were demonised, a(nother) pagan legacy inherited by the church.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

How would you propose an island in a 'perfect position' could be anchored?

It is easier than you think. Especially in chalk areas where you can use running water to remove complete blocks of land. If you can envisage a Britain as a peninsula jutting out of continental Europe (as we know it once was) then it is a simple matter of cutting out the Straits of Dover.

The Isle of Wight was a five-finger exercise and nobody looking at it could possibly suppose it is natural.
Rocky

Mick Harper wrote:
How would you propose an island in a 'perfect position' could be anchored?

It is easier than you think. Especially in chalk areas where you can use running water to remove complete blocks of land. If you can envisage a Britain as a peninsula jutting out of continental Europe (as we know it once was) then it is a simple matter of cutting out the Straits of Dover.

The Isle of Wight was a five-finger exercise and nobody looking at it could possibly suppose it is natural.

Are you going to put that in the book? I think all but some THOBR-ites would consider an idea like that to be in the league of vampire and alien stories.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Well. my esteemed comrade has put this footnote in

The Isle of Wight, guarding the approaches to Portsmouth and Southampton, is itself a possible Megalithic navigational aid. The lozenge is a particularly significant shape in measurement (the shadows cast at the solstices).

Perhaps she could say what she meant. But in general, no we shall not be frightening the horses.
Hatty
Site Admin

Without an IoW walk included the island has to make do with a footnote in the après-Dorset section. (footnotes are like doodles, no-one takes any notice of them).

As the dear leader appreciates, the Isle of Wight is the most megalithic place on the south coast of England; from there, opposite Portsmouth, you look straight across at Portland Bill, source of the best building stone in the country then as now. But there's no alien presence in the frame, even an area of less strategic importance is reshaped and reinforced by human hand when necessary.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So how do you account for it being mystically shaped? Was that nature or nurture?
Hatty
Site Admin

IoW could be artificial. It's theoretically likely in view of the obvious advantages, and practically possible judging by monumental structures albeit on a less grandiose scale like Silbury Hill, which seems to have been completely ignored before Stukeley and the Victorians. But it's a large subject for a footnote.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Jump to:  
Page 15 of 59

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in