MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gael Celtic Hebrew British Coincidence? (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Komorikid wrote:
There are NO GREEKS in the works of Homer NONE.

Well I say that they may have nothing to do with Greece and were probably written by a contemporary or near-contemporary of John Milton.

Not to worry though. Even the Bible may be only a little bit older.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Komori, in view of past contretemps, can you indicate the origin of your theory that the Celtic languages are Semitic? I ask because I am anxious to take up this theory and as you know I have a tendency to assume theories are mine if left unclaimed for too long.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

There seem to be many advocates of this theory. The earliest I could find was the Rev. Eliezer Williams (b.1754). Here is a selection of quotes from him:

"In the Hebrew... which the ancient British language greatly resembles... "The roots of most of the ancient British, or real Welsh, words may be regularly traced in the Hebrew... "Scarcely a Hebrew root can be discovered that has not its corresponding derivative in the ancient British language... But not only...the words...their variations and inflections afford a much stronger proof of affinity... The plural number of nouns likewise is often formed in a similar manner in the Celtic by adding in (a contraction of ??: i.e.-IM which is the suffix used in Hebrew to form the masculine plural)...in the formation of sentences, and in the government of words...the same syntax might serve for both.....
wizard

Mick Harper wrote:
Komori, in view of past contretemps, can you indicate the origin of your theory that the Celtic languages are Semitic? I ask because I am anxious to take up this theory and as you know I have a tendency to assume theories are mine if left unclaimed for too long.

You may find Alan Wilson's investigation of interest. His translation of the Coelbren Alphabet demonstrates a possible arrival of the Welsh/British/Khumri language to the British Isles from Syria.

Listen to the audio broadcast!

http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/2010/02feb/RIR-100211.php
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Special weight was attributed to a Jew's oath, which was valid against that of twelve Christians.

This sentence is from Wikipedia's 'History of the Jews in England' page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_England

At first it stood out simply because it goes against the stereotypical image of Jews as untrustworthy. Then it occurred to me that a bunch of twelve honest men is generally known as a jury. Jury/Jewry - is there any legs in that link.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Jury is a "fire" word.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

According to Wiki jor is an ancient Celtic word meaning 'forest', hence the Jura mountains, the densely wooded foothills of the Alps. Jorvik is presumably 'Forest Town'. The Roman name, Eboracum, apparently means 'place of the yews'.

Perhaps in pre-Bible days witnesses and jurors had to swear an oath on a wooden cross, or some form of sacred wood, to uphold the truth.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

According to Wiki jor is an ancient Celtic word meaning 'forest',

Could I (yet again) point out that this is ridiculous. If Jor turns up in a Celtic language meaning something like 'forest' then tell us which one and we have the answer. Or at any rate we can judge for ouselves.

As soon as linguists start talking about 'an ancient something-or-other' they mean that a modern linguist invented the word Jor and consigned it the meaning of forest. Doubtless there is a word beginning with J and which has something to do with wood in one or other of the Celtic languages, should you be so incautious as to ask. But as soon as the 'fact' is published it becomes 'real'.

hence the Jura mountains, the densely wooded foothills of the Alps

So other linguists now look for jor words that might, by any stretch you care to make, mean forest. Hence, because the Jura mountains have some trees on them .... bingo. Unlike every other goddamn range of forested hills that haven't been named Jura. Brilliant!

Actually, the Jura got their name from the fact that Joghurt was made there. And, by the way, the Jurassic Era must have been heavily wooded.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Could I yet again point out the Hebrew connection cf. Jordan, in Hebrew ירדן (yarden), i.e. garden.
Wile E. Coyote

River=River Ure

English form York

Latin form Eboracum

Danish form Euruic

All the same.....its just named over.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
Could I yet again point out the Hebrew connection cf. Jordan, in Hebrew ירדן (yarden), i.e. garden.

Just more forms of the ancient "Khantzar" word form -- meaning "zone of similar things."
Wile E. Coyote

ur=gaelic fire
uro= "latin" burn

ITs a "fire" word.

You might want to think about "or" = light in Hebrew.
Wile E. Coyote

Doh!

I actually typed burn without realising it was another.
Wile E. Coyote

One of the early puzzles was links between fire river and zones.

The question is best formatted as follows.

Why do Dragons breathe fire?

A interesting question that you can easily solve, but.... the answer is not easily proved.....

So please dont ask .........

You are either interested in Dragons or you are not.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

In Chinese mythology dragons are associated with rain-making. The following line is from a folk story called the Great Race explaining how the Chinese zodiac was formed.

The mighty Dragon explained that he had to stop and make rain to help all the people and creatures of the earth, and therefore he was held back.

The story's on the Wikipedia page for 'Chinese zodiac'. The page also says this, which seems worth a mention;

In Kazakhstan, an animal cycle similar to the Chinese is used, but the dragon is substituted by a snail

I think I vaguely recall someone on here mentioning a link between dragons and lines, so with snails leaving straight-lined trails behind them maybe there's a snail/dragon link.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in