MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Musicology sucks (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

I've lived in Canada and in the U.S. I know what system works better.

So have I: about 20 years in each one. And another 25 in Spain. But I don't have a clue which one works better because I've always avoided going to doctors whenever possible, and 40 years ago gave up on them altogether.

You either take care of your own health (good diet, herbal remedies, clay) or get caught up in pharmaceutical drug addiction. In Spain pharmaceuticals are heavily subsidized by the state, and, according to rough calculation, something like 40 percent of the drugs acquired in pharmacies end up in the rubbish bin. But people, especially the old, still keep making the round: to the doctor, to the pharmacy, home to pop the pills.

I did use the services of a couple of hospitals when I broke my leg: I'm not totally against professional medicine, but I don't see much sense in scheduling hundreds of thousands of operations just to pay the surgeons' astronomical fees and salaries. And I'm definitely against the sacralization and exclusive subsidizing of allopathic medicine for its supposed scientific character, to the detriment of all other types of medical treatment.
Leon

if you sell well you must be either a genius or at any rate have a rare talent.
Yeah sure. But it might just be a genius or rare talent for sussing out the popular taste created by all the talented marketing geniuses that have come before, and pandering to it.
Leon

I also don't believe in the Big Bang.

The Big Bang is simply a mechanical version of two religious theories, or theories that are viewed as religious.

One is the Hindu notion of the Cosmic Egg, which is supposed to have broken open and hatched the Cosmos.

The other is the image promoted by the Illuminists in the Middle Ages: this idea, curiously enough, seems to have originated with some Muslim philosophers (notably Ibn 'Arab') and spread to some Christian and Jewish colleagues (Abicebron, Ramon Llull, Duns Scotus). They said that 'God' was a Light at the centre of the universe which radiates existence eternally. If we leave out God, and simply think of the Light, it is at least a beautiful image. And more organic, so to speak, than the Big Bang.

The real problem with the Big Bang is that it rests on the assumption that the universe is finite, which has not been proven, at least I haven't seen any pictures of the end of the universe and what lies beyond, and then, once it has turned into a dogma, which it has, becomes the proof that the universe is finite. Very clever, to be sure.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Leon wrote:
if you sell well you must be either a genius or at any rate have a rare talent.
Yeah sure. But it might just be a genius or rare talent for sussing out the popular taste created by all the talented marketing geniuses that have come before, and pandering to it.

The problem is getting published in the first place. J.K. Rowling was slated for being derivative but only after becoming a world-wide success.

My brother-in-law tells me he's been approached by an author but couldn't get a single publisher to take his book because it doesn't toe the catastrophist line. The author is a highly qualified meteorologist who, without being polemical or political, argues against global warming, a view apparently held by the majority in his profession. It's all about making money. The Royal Society only got the royal seal of approval by persuading Charles II, always short of cash, that their work would bring financial rewards (which it didn't).
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 6

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in