MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Going Walkabout (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Just fuck off, Chad.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Honeycombs are hexagonal. The bee was a Merovingian symbol later adopted by Napoleon which was supposed to represent wisdom, presumably of a hermetic nature. The life of bees is pretty mysterious (we've been puzzling over the disappearance of honey bees recently), maybe we once had the knack of 'bee-whispering'.

Honey was the main (the only?) sweetener for millenia and must have been essential to offset the bitterness of (wormwood-preserved) liquor.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

err.... ahh.... this is starting to look like an inundation.

Mind you, I've never maintained the hexagon doesn't occur in nature. In fact, I've known why it does since reading On Growth and Form (there's a hexagon on the north pole of Saturn BTW). The case we've entertained regarding the Giant's Causeway is that natural processes might have been harnessed for reasons unknown.

I do notice that few of the other hexagon formations show the distinctive "cellular" structure of the Giant's Causeway.

But by now I'm grasping at straws.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, if Chad fucks off and takes his obviously faked photos with him, we're back in business.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Ishmael wrote:
err.... ahh.... this is starting to look like an inundation.

I do notice that few of the other hexagon formations show the distinctive "cellular" structure of the Giant's Causeway.

More examples of this stuff at:

http://centripetalnotion.com/2007/07/21/20:50:54/
Ishmael

I think it's time to put the man-made thesis to rest with respect to the Giant's Causeway. One of the pillars of the argument -- its relative uniqueness -- is obviously no longer available.

Looks like the answer to the final question in my doco is, "Quite good. The odds are quite good."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The thing about world-shattering theories is that there'll always be another one along in a few minutes.

PS If Chad produces pix of lookalike Chesil Beaches he is o-u-t spells out.
Chad

I think you're on sounder footing with that one.

The only thing I can find that's even similar is...

Miquelon-Langlade - - North Atlantic (South of Newfoundland)

...and that looks pretty artificial to me.

It was apparently colonised by Basques... who, if you ask me, were responsible for far more than they are letting on (or indeed even realise.)
wizard

Hatty wrote:
My sister has sent a sprig of wormwood from the garden of the Roman villa at Fishbourne in Sussex. In her note she wrote "the Romans apparently introduced a lot of herbs and plants into Britain".

This cannot be so in the case of wormwood, the OE is given as wermod * for which all manner of translations are offered such as 'man-courage', 'spirit-mother' (the Latin, absinthium, is said to come from Greek meaning bitter which is a quite different emphasis). How about wermod = Hermes. It is clear that worm/orm is the same as herm and a similar connection exists between wormwood and wisdom, which is definitely the province of 'angels' and heroes not mere peasants.

Could there be a connection between worm, the earth-turner, and George, the tiller of the earth I wonder, i.e. a connection between worm/Hermes and George.

I will try to take a photo of the sprig. The leaves are fleur-de-lis in appearance, silvery-green in colour (might be faded though).

* There are variations -- wyrmod, weremod, vermod, uermodae, uuermod, wurmod, wearmod, weremod, weremot, wermot. Wormwood is clearly English, nothing like Artemisia or A. absinthium.

Perhaps:
O.E. (Wyrm) = Serpent, Dragon (Abraham of Worms?) (hermetic?) (George?)
O.E. (Wyr) = having knowledge of something, true, correct etc.
O.E. (Myd) = spirit

The Serpent cult, (British Isles?), regarded the serpent as symbolic of a Christ!

Saint Patrick banished the serpents from Ireland -- (Serpents in Ireland? -- Which species?)

Could it mean; to gain knowledge of the spirit? (entheogenic)
Ishmael

Chad wrote:
...and that looks pretty artificial to me.

Is that a causeway???? I had no idea. And I am from Newfoundland!
Chad

That north-east coast does look uncannily familiar.

north-east coast
Ishmael

Man. That is CRAZY! Who built it?

Must be the Basques!

So where else do we see something like this? Fill me in!!!
Ishmael

SO I figured, if someone was in St. Pierre and building earthworks, they also would have been over on Newfoundland doing the same. It's not going to be isolated to those two small islands.

So have a look at these two harbor mouths. Maybe this is modern work but it don't look natural. These harbors look like someone has closed them off to seal them in from the north Atlantic yet allow boat traffic.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?gbv=2&hl=
en&q=Miquelon-Langlade&ie=UTF8&start=0&t=h&hq=&hnear=
Langlade+Island&ll=47.794476,-59.269867&spn=0.178517,0.324097&z=12
Ishmael

It is suspicious also that one is open from the south and the other from the north -- as though perhaps each was designed to be accessible when dangerous waves or ill winds might have closed off the other. But I'm not a sailor.
Ishmael

Look at the entire southwest coast.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?gbv=2&hl=en&q=Miquelon-Langlade&ie=UTF8&start=0&t=h&hq=&hnear=
Langlade+Island&ll=47.605469,-59.230042&spn=0.179165,0.324097&z=12

Note that the entire network of apparent causeways terminates at Port-a-Basque!

I've driven through this area countless times.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Jump to:  
Page 25 of 43

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in