MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Admin Talking (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Librarian

Yes we're rearranging the site so don't kvetch all at once. Hello.. .hello! Is there anyone out there?
admin
Librarian

And if anybody is having difficulties signing in and out (like me, Mick, who can only get in as Admin at the moment) could you let me, Mick, know.
admin
Librarian

As most of you know, the chief affliction affecting the world at the moment is software engineers. I was forcibly reminded of their continuing hatred for the human race today when, complaining as I was that the search facility only gave me complete threads which I had to spend hours and hours going through, a kindly soul whispered in my ear that in the distant left-hand corner of the search page there is a little button that allows you to nominate individual posts.

I checked with a colleague who also has to spend half her life on the Search function and she too said this was the first she had heard of it.

Only a software engineer would
a) put threads as the default rather than posts
b) make sure the choice cannot be seen by normal people
c) not mention this to me despite me banging on about what a nuisance having to go through the whole thread is for several years.
Perhaps they didn't know either, one cannot put a lower limit to their unfathomable doltishness.

But I cannot say more because they control our lives. (Taps side of nose.)
Rocky

admin wrote:

Only a software engineer would
a) put threads as the default rather than posts
b) make sure the choice cannot be seen by normal people
c) not mention this to me despite me banging on about what a nuisance having to go through the whole thread is for several years.
Perhaps they didn't know either, one cannot put a lower limit to their unfathomable doltishness.

But I cannot say more because they control our lives. (Taps side of nose.)

I used to test software. That's probably the only reason why I found the "search by posts" radio buttton.

Are there admin preferences somewhere so that the default search can be set to posts for everyone?
admin
Librarian

Dear Rocky,

I haven't been able to find that option so far. But please, if you find any hyperlink explaining where it is (we run a PHPBB board), feel free to inform me and I'll change it immediately. I agree that this feature would be most useful for everyone.

Keimpe
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

I used to test software.

Never mind dys-an-dat-lexia, there is a preponderance of software types round here.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I quite liked that other Admin bloke. Talked a lot of sense. But, Dan, you know the old joke about how many software engineers it takes to change a PHPBB? Well, the answer is "As many as you can find, that way one of them might know."
Rocky

admin wrote:
Dear Rocky,

I haven't been able to find that option so far. But please, if you find any hyperlink explaining where it is (we run a PHPBB board), feel free to inform me and I'll change it immediately. I agree that this feature would be most useful for everyone.

Keimpe

I couldn't find anything about it either. So I asked them at phpbb about it. But they said what I thought they might say. The version of phpbb that we are using is 2.0 and it was retired a year ago, and only 3.0 is supported now.

Here is a link to where I asked:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1552085

The upgrade doc is here:
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=install&version=3

Are you going to try to upgrade? I don't just mean for purposes of the search function, but to be up to date?

Anyway, if you do upgrade, you should definitely back everything up. It should always be assumed that upgrades will go awry on the first try.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Here's a post from Ishmael from many, many years ago

I am also not so terribly concerned with the forgetting of good ideas. I know all these things in which I had a role to play are still in my mind and the fact that they remain in the thread makes them relatively easy to find again (if you know how to use the search function correctly -- search by post not thread!).

And my insufferable reply

Yes, new "truth" does take up a permanent place in the human mind but it only pops out again when you summon it forth. Hence, if you decide to write a book, it will lay itself out for your inspection. But otherwise it just sits there not being of very much use. We need a mechanism to summon it forth from the cornucopia of a good thread.

How pathetic even my brain is.
Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in